Question Pc overheating after reapplying thermal paste

cool verma

Honorable
Oct 11, 2015
Earlier, my I5 9400f used to reach 80-85 on rdr2 at maximum, so I installed case cooling fans and got thermal paste reapplied. Now, the temps are going as high as 90-95, though only at loads. I don't know what has been happening, have been trying to fix it. Also, could it be the PSU? The whole issue started after I started playing cyberpunk and had weird restarts.
Pc specs:
I5 9400f 2.9 GHz
Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER
16 GB ram
AntEsports VS500l

cool verma

Honorable
Oct 11, 2015
What thermal compound did you use?
Did you spread the compound all over the cpu or just a small dot?
Is the cpu cooler reinstalled correctly?
Truth be told, I don't know what compound it is. I got it done from a shop
He definitely put more than a dot.
And I checked, the cooler is loose from one point
Ah <Mod Edit> I guess we caught the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth be told, I don't know what compound it is. I got it done from a shop
He definitely put more than a dot.
And I checked, the cooler is loose from one point
Ah <Mod Edit> I guess we caught the problem?
Looks like you did. Type and make of paste and in some extent method of applying it makes little difference but loose (not enough pressure) or uneven placement is most usual problem.

Reactions: cool verma
Are you using the stock cooler?
If so, here are my canned discussion on how to do it properly:
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.
Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.
When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.
If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, first run the cpu to heat it up and soften the paste before shutting down and powering off the pc. That makes it easy to unstick the old cooler.
Turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.

It is hard to use too little.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------