[SOLVED] PC overheating and shutting down ?

Sep 20, 2021
A few days ago fan speed increased randomly to 5k rpm and stayed there and core temps were pushing 90 on idle. I checked other threads and the advice was to clean every fan and reapply thermal paste which I did, small amount and made sure heat sink was seated flush.

I thought that would do it but things are now worse, computer stopped booting windows and gfx card got no signal. When I did finally get windows up none of my components worked and it shut itself down after a minute so I'm hesitant to try again. Any ideas would be much appreciated thankyou!

Other info;
System was fine for a year before this where I replaced a psu for a Corsair TX650M.
I'm unsure of the model of the cooler as I was given the computer but it is a corsair water cooler.
GA Z87 HD3 Gigabyte mobo. i5 processor.

Last edited:
A few days ago fan speed increased randomly to 5k rpm and stayed there and core temps were pushing 90 on idle. I checked other threads and the advice was to clean every fan and reapply thermal paste which I did, small amount and made sure heat sink was seated flush.

I thought that would do it but things are now worse, computer stopped booting windows and gfx card got no signal. When I did finally get windows up none of my components worked and it shut itself down after a minute so I'm hesitant to try again. Any ideas would be much appreciated thankyou!

Other info;
System was fine for a year before this where I replaced a psu for a Corsair TX650M.
I'm unsure of the model of the cooler as I was given the computer but it is a corsair water cooler.
GA Z87 HD3 Gigabyte mobo. i5 processor.
please detail to total specs? also wat cooling did you use and what paste?

Reactions: Boringtuesday56
Sep 20, 2021
please detail to total specs? also wat cooling did you use and what paste?
Apologies I'm honestly unsure of the exact specs I was given the pc a few years ago and I can't boot it up to check. Its an intel cpu i5 I think, 16gb DDR3 and the cooler is a Hydro Series™ H80i. Mobo and psu are above. It has two exhaust fans on the top and two intake fans surrounding the liquid heat radiator block.

Thermal paste is Halnziye HY510, didn't realise there were different types?

cpu i5 I think
go to task manager then performance and click on cpu, you will find what's your cpu name.
also did you tried to use a heatsink tower and a good paste?

Thermal paste is Halnziye HY510, didn't realise there were different types?
Well, there is alot of pastes in the market, but for me, the best performing and best priced is Gelid GC Extreme and Arctic MX4 or MX5.