Question PC overheating due to 4 pin power connector ?

Oct 31, 2021
Greetings!
I hope everyone is fairing well.

When you connect the 4 pin power conector to my motherboard the backside of the CPU gets burning hot fairly quickly and the pc shuts down after that it just goes into a loop. If I remove thét cable, the backside gets slightly warm and the pc runs without t shutting down. By that I guess that it's an overheating issue caused by the 4 pin. Now my issue is, does the problem come from the PSU and needs a swap or does it come from the connector on the motherboard?
My budged is low but affordable so I would like to get it right by either getting a new PSU or a motherboard.

Thank you for the help in advance :)

Backstory:
Note: even before this I kept getting random blue screens of windows TDR or tdlr? Something along those lines for a few weeks but never causing an issue.

Yesterday I ran into an issue with my pc. It started of with a black screen while playing a game then right after wit a blue screen. The pc restarted just fine but with a catch. All apps kept closing itself if I try t open any windows option window it closes,same with Xbox apps and discord opens but doesn't fully load and stays gray. The only things that worked and stayed open were the browser and the task manager. After trying to fix that with cmd scans and commands I concluded that I need to repair windows or install it new. Problem is,I couldn't get to that,I managed to once get to windows automatic repair tool but I couldn't do anything, M&K weren't powered or detected. After restarting a few times and trying to get my USB tool kit to work,suddenly pc wouldn't boot anymore. It powered on for a few seconds and turned off and so on,sometimes it stops the loop by itself.

That's not the first time this happened, usually due to overheating of accumulated dust, problem is,I cleaned the pc a month ago fully so that can't be it. I decided to check what causes the issues and by trail and error came to the conclusion that If I connect everything but the 4 pin power connector, that the pc would stay un running effortlessly. Idk if it boots up or anything since the 4 pin power es the ports I believe,so I don't get any power on the graphics card mini hdmi outlet perhaps? If I still do then I don't get an image and somehting else has to be wrong too. But for now, 100% confirmed that the 4 pin, when connected, causes CPU overheat as the backside of hit get burning hot in seconds as soon as I connect it. Now,idk if it's an issue by the PSU or motherboard and was hoping that maybe someone could shine a light on the situation before I go buy things by trial an error.

Oct 31, 2021
Hi,

So the 4 pin power connector you are referring to is required for your PC to boot. That is literally the power for your CPU. The system will not boot without it being connected.

As for the overheating, yes it will be very hot to the touch, but not likely overheating. Are you using the original stock cooler on your CPU? What CPU are your running. Most CPUs are good to around 90° C. You can download a free program called HW Info that will tell you what your CPU temperature is.

Have you ever replaced the thermal paste between the CPU and the Cooler? My guess is this might solve your issue with it running "hot".

What specific error code are you getting when you get your BSOD (blue screen of death)? If you can post it here that would help diagnose what issues your system is having.

Oct 31, 2021
Hi,

So the 4 pin power connector you are referring to is required for your PC to boot. That is literally the power for your CPU. The system will not boot without it being connected.

As for the overheating, yes it will be very hot to the touch, but not likely overheating. Are you using the original stock cooler on your CPU? What CPU are your running. Most CPUs are good to around 90° C. You can download a free program called HW Info that will tell you what your CPU temperature is.

Have you ever replaced the thermal paste between the CPU and the Cooler? My guess is this might solve your issue with it running "hot".

What specific error code are you getting when you get your BSOD (blue screen of death)? If you can post it here that would help diagnose what issues your system is having.
Thank you for the reply.
Everyhting Is till stock from when I bought the pc back in 2015(?). The thermal paste change almost every year or so now maybe earlier since I get shut downs from overheating due to dust so since I have some paste at hand I just add new paste to it. The cpu I'm running is an i7 with the basic single Fan on top of it.
About that HW program, will it work if it doesn't even stays powered for 5 seconds with the 4 pin connected?
I can't post the blue screen error pc the pc isn't booting up anymore but it was some VIDRO_TDR_FAILURE.

Oct 31, 2021
From that information, my guess is you might have a bad Graphics Card. You can remove the graphics card, and connect the monitor to the port on the motherboard and see if it will boot into windows. If so, you can check the temperature using HW info, as you will need a minute or so to download it, and install it to read the temperature.

If you need to reinstall windows, you can use another computer to make a USB drive using the Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 10.

So try running without a GPU using the onboard graphics on the CPU. Gaming won't work well, but at least you will know you need a new GPU (good luck in getting one with the current shortages).

Oct 31, 2021
From that information, my guess is you might have a bad Graphics Card. You can remove the graphics card, and connect the monitor to the port on the motherboard and see if it will boot into windows. If so, you can check the temperature using HW info, as you will need a minute or so to download it, and install it to read the temperature.

If you need to reinstall windows, you can use another computer to make a USB drive using the Windows Media Creation Tool for Windows 10.

So try running without a GPU using the onboard graphics on the CPU. Gaming won't work well, but at least you will know you need a new GPU (good luck in getting one with the current shortages).
There's no video port on the motherboard only, the only video ports I have are on the graphics card which is a gtx 750ti Btw. I have such reinstall kit on a USB as I tried to get it to detect it and reinstall windows before the whole pc stopped working.
Also like I said,if I only connect the 4pin th pc also goes into a loop power up so by that I'm guessing it can't be the graphics card?

Oct 31, 2021
There's no video port on the motherboard only, the only video ports I have are on the graphics card which is a gtx 750ti Btw. I have such reinstall kit on a USB as I tried to get it to detect it and reinstall windows before the whole pc stopped working.
Also like I said,if I only connect the 4pin th pc also goes into a loop power up so by that I'm guessing it can't be the graphics card?
I just did test, with the 4 pin conected. First-time tuning on while cold ,it's stays on for about a minute and then shuts down after that I turn it on again and it lasts about 5 seconds on. It doesn't power loop anymore either,it just says off. I did a 3th try and it stayed 20-25 seconds on. All this with evryhting disconnected but the ram, graphics cars is disconnected. 4th attempt, now with the 4 pin 12v disconnected it stayed on for 5 minutes and now no shutdown. Still with graphics card disconnected. Yesterday I did thisytoo with it connected and same result,staying powered effortlessly.

Oct 30, 2021
Hi,

If you have done everything right, then the first thing i would check is the power draw do you have the power connected to the top of the mb as well as the side. How big is your power supply if its not rated for your setup ,under powered. it can crash the system and by adding devices like the 4th pin fan it strains the board like charging your phone while watching videos. Upgrade your power supply. If its not the power connectors that were forgotten to be attached.

Oct 31, 2021
If you have done everything right, then the first thing i would check is the power draw do you have the power connected to the top of the mb as well as the side. How big is your power supply if its not rated for your setup ,under powered. it can crash the system and by adding devices like the 4th pin fan it strains the board like charging your phone while watching videos. Upgrade your power supply. If its not the power connectors that were forgotten to be attached.
The pc was running fine since 2015 so it's not any connectors not attached or too many USB connected. I'm guessing and opting on the psu being quite old and needing a swap? It's only a 250w too but rated enough for my to work flawlessly until a couple days ago