[SOLVED] Pc overheats only when run in normal boot.

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
I have been playing games fine with no problems all day and decided to move my pc to on my desk instead of below it. After i did i booted it up and now it seems like cpu temps just spike and make it overheat within a minute of logging in, sometimes before i even get to that point. I have made sure the fans are clean, and it can idle perfectly fine for at least 10 mins on safe mode, but sitting on the log in screen for a minute will shut it down.
Not too sure most of my pc specs, i can probably look them up just not sure what is relevant since it seems fine while in safe mode.

Solution
There shouldn't be any problems with me just buying the same exact model cooler right? Also it doesn't seem like the cpu itself at all correct? Just need to mentally prepare myself of how much to spend

In all honestly, not been able to do any further test on the system make it imposible for me to guarantee this is an AIO problem.

The easiest way to know for sure if the AIO is the culprit, will be to test with a diferent cooler (if you have one laying around thats compatible with the motherboard and cpu), or trying the AIO in a different PC.

But thats all I can come with from here, sorry.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check to be sure the moving didn't unseat the cooler or some strange thing like that? I can't think of anything specific that moving it would do aside from that or perhaps some fan connector, etc. but you mention having checked that aspect.

It wasn't sitting up next to the AC vent in previous location was it?

Reactions: RodroX

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
Check to be sure the moving didn't unseat the cooler or some strange thing like that? I can't think of anything specific that moving it would do aside from that or perhaps some fan connector, etc. but you mention having checked that aspect.

It wasn't sitting up next to the AC vent in previous location was it?
Nope, vents are all in the ceiling. I figured it has been a few years since i got it and did a thorough cleaning, so i took out the cpu cooler and cleaned it and put new thermal paste on (first time doing that so i could have messed it up) and booted it, same problem. Can stay on long enough to get a temp software up and see it rise. I can get it to idle normally, but the moment i even launch discord or chrome the cpu and mobo temp start going up to 70-80's, so wondering if it's just a really convenient timed cooling failure?

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
How old is it?

It would be a heck of a coincidence, but if it's over ~5 YO is (typically) considered a long service life. It could have gone out.
It's probably close to 5, cpu and cpu cooler are the last things i haven't replaced so i guess it's probably time to at least try. Don't know anything about cpu's though so guess it's time to figure out what i need

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
Besides what punkncat wrote about age of the cooling system, Are you positive you installed the pump the right way on the socket, and that you plugged every single cable (pump, fans, etc), to the motherboard and/or PSU?
Yeah i mean it has been working fine for like 4 years and i didn't change anything, only think i did was unplug cpu cooler from mobo when i was cleaning but that is back in. Only other thing i can think of is i accidentally kicked the power strip out before i moved it but that shouldn't cause this kind of mess up i assume

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
mmmm, as I wrote earlier, you never answer: Are you 100% sure the pump is well mounted on the CPU, I mean after you did the cleaning?

Can you share with us the model of your AIO, you wrote brand was corsair, Whats the exact model?
I'm not confident enough to know that it was mounted right but it seems centered and the brackets line up so my best guess is yes. (And i made sure the 3 pin connector is plugged into where it was before) When i was able to get on chrome and have those temps for like 30 mins, then as soon as i launched a game it shutdown within a minute.

As for my cooler it's a corsair H60 AIO 120mm

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
I see, so only 2 cables, and the pump should be installed right. Then could be what punkncat wrote about been too old, maybe.
There shouldn't be any problems with me just buying the same exact model cooler right? Also it doesn't seem like the cpu itself at all correct? Just need to mentally prepare myself of how much to spend

In all honestly, not been able to do any further test on the system make it imposible for me to guarantee this is an AIO problem.

The easiest way to know for sure if the AIO is the culprit, will be to test with a diferent cooler (if you have one laying around thats compatible with the motherboard and cpu), or trying the AIO in a different PC.

Solution

whalen799

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019

All good, I'm just gonna buy one and see, worst case i can try and sell it but it's the cheapest part to try lol tyty for your help though

Reactions: RodroX

TRENDING THREADS