Question PC part Picker says CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit my motherboard, will thius be an issue

MichaelCol

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
the pc build is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd9PKp#compatibility_notes

under the compatibility section it states "The Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 V2 64.5 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard. " just wondering if this will be an issue as its my first ever build, will i need to swap motherboard or cpu cooler in order for this build to work?

Ralston18

Titan
Start by carefully reading the applicable User Guide/Manuals for the cooler and motherboard.

Do the same for the case.

You should be able to find all three documents online.

Do be sure that the manuals are indeed a match to the case, cooler and motherboard (make, model, version, etc..)

Read all fine print and warnings. Verify QVLs (Qualified Vendors Lists) Double check diagrams and measurements. Details matter.

Also look at the applicable manufacturer's Forums and FAQ's as may or may not be available.

Pay attention to both what is said and what is not said.

Coolers have two parts: the cooler itself and mounting brackets. Each different system requires different bracket, so cooler package includes multiple brackets to have as wide support as possible for different boards. Now, LGA 1700 is new so coolers manufactured more then year ago will not have a bracket for it, while those manufactured this year will include it. Obviously you cannot mount the cooler without compatible bracket. In case the cooler you buy is older you will need to obtain the bracket separately. Changing the motherboard will not help. And changing cooler will also not help as pretty much all models face same problem.

Reactions: Lafong

KnurledNut

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I just built a system with a LGA 1700 chip. Mounting a cooler is an issue as the chip is new. I specifically went with the Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B because it includes the new mount.

The cooler you selected needs an adapter for the 1700 chip.