PC Part Prices and Black Friday Prices

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Is the price for pc parts mainly GPU'S still going up or is there a sign that they are dropping? I ask this because in January i was going to be getting a pc but a lot of people said that i should wait. Also is it worth waiting till black to buy my pc parts, mainly I'm thinking i could get a monitor, keyboard etc cheaper on black Friday but i dont know if pc parts (Gpu's, Cpu's etc..) are cheaper on black Friday. Could someone help me with this Thanks : )

Solution

1. Black Friday. 7 months away.
Far too early to be thinking about specific parts.

2. GPU prices? Completely unknown when/if they will fall in price.

3. Standard BF/CM rant:
Black Friday is merely a marketing term for the period of 1 Nov to 15 Jan. Prices go up and down daily...

USAFRet

Titan

1. Black Friday. 7 months away.
Far too early to be thinking about specific parts.

2. GPU prices? Completely unknown when/if they will fall in price.

3. Standard BF/CM rant:
Black Friday is merely a marketing term for the period of 1 Nov to 15 Jan. Prices go up and down daily, sometimes hourly.
And often, they are just clearing out last years crap that did not sell.
I've bought the exact same part in July, for cheaper than it was on any date surrounding the mythical Black Friday.

Solution

judewilliams22

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

so not worth waiting for parts. What about for monitors ?

I've never seen anything for sale on black friday that was worth considering or waiting for, except, maybe one or two Amazon or Walmart television deals and those are usually like clearly stated "only 3 at this price" which might as well be mythical because I've personally never met anybody who ever actually scored one of them at that rate. Look for sales, Newegg deals, Amazon deals or use PC Partpicker to find the cheapest price. That is the only real way to find what you're looking for at a lower price.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Storage usually goes for cheaper, but those are just to get you in the door. I think they are loss leaders, hoping you'll spend more on other products and selling the drives at or near cost.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a decent black friday GPU deal that wasn't just inventory clean up. That might not be a bad thing this go around if they are offering up unsold GTX1050 and things.

As for TVs, how I got my 4K. Black Friday Sam's Club (Their sale is actually in September) Stood in line at 4:30am, they walked down it asking people what they wanted and handed out tickets. 60" 4K Vizio, it was something like $300 less then Best Buy was carrying it for at the time. Very efficient, and as you say, they only had the three. I got the third one.

USAFRet

Titan

Yeah, but you bought a Vizio...:kaola:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What may or may not go on sale on BF/CM is only relevant near BF/CM. In April/May, there's really no sense worrying about what *might* be by then.

If you were considering a build a week or two out, there would be no harm in waiting/watching, but 7 months????

As has been mentioned, even on BF/CM the good deals are rarely on anything current/modern in the PC space.
Storage, peripherals etc, maybe - but prices in November have no relevance in April. For peripherals or storage, you could always replace/upgrade IF you happen to find a good sale.

Mid-range TVs and other electronics where buying last years model rarely matters, is another story - but for PC hardware, buying main components on BF/CM, you're already going to be on last gen hardware (at best!!)

As for BF stories - I was at Canadian Tire @ 5am on "Red Thursday" (apparently the whole week will be a thing soon enough!) and got was 6th in line for one of the 5x 55" 4K RCA TV's they had for $299 CDN. Didn't get one.

Then, on the Saturday, Walmart updated a listing for the same TV - $249 or $269 CDN (I forget exactly how much) w/free delivery.
YEah, it's an RCA..... but I needed a new TV.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Typically I would buy a Samsung, as I like their ludicrous color saturation. But I haven't been disappointed by this one. I typically run it at 1080p and it makes for a very sharp image. Slight discoloration at the corners, but it is a 60". I'll probably keep it until a decent 65" OLED screen is about $1000. I don't think I can go much bigger before I start hitting walls.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

My Uncle used to work for Thompson - RCA. All our electronics growing up were RCA, TVs, stereos, walkman, dvd players. Then they started outsourcing production and design, basically just other products with the RCA logo stuck on.

We still have a production prototype, one of the last tube TVs RCA ever made. They just handed them out one year and only asked for a quarterly feedback survey.

USAFRet

Titan

I too was satisfied with my 55" Vizio.
Until it broke 2 months after the warranty ran out.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Yeah, RCA as a company always had solid products.
RCA these days, it's just another brand label slapped on a generic, generally lower quality product.... I believe owned by Curtis (ProScan, Sylvania etc).

BUT, if I can get a couple of years out of it, I'll be happy for the money.