[SOLVED] PC part upgrade suggestions

maxvm2013

Commendable
Sep 28, 2017
I built a PC about 2 years ago. Specs are that are important are here.
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: Asrock AB 350 Pro4
Case: Zalman Z1

I want to upgrade my PC, but I do not know if I should upgrade my CPU first, GPU first, both, or if I need to get a new motherboard.
I wanted to upgrade my GPU to one of the RTX 20 series (not sure which) , but I have no idea what CPU I would use. This is mainly for gaming, just as some background info.

Solution
the only game I have had trouble running is Jedi fallen order, but the reason I made this post is because I was planning to upgrade in the foreseeable future as games slowly become harder to run. My pc can barely run fallen order, with most settings at medium and antialiasing turned off in the .xml file.
That definitely doesn't sound right with those specs. Not at 1080p rez. If you just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, go for it. I do that myself... way too often!
But if you want to see if the issue can be remedied, let's check a few things.
  1. Have you run something like CCLeaner lately? Do the Clean and Registry portions both. Let me know if it returns a ton of stuff it finds.
  2. Have you run...

maxvm2013

Commendable
Sep 28, 2017
What area(s) are you suffering in now? What screen resolution/V. Refresh is your monitor? Need more fps? Better graphics settings?
What is your system RAM specs?
I’m suffering in the FPS category. My screen resolution is 1920x1200 60hz. I wanted to get better FPS. I have G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory memory.

sorry about font I’m on mobile.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Man, with a 6C/12T Ryzen and a 1070 you are pretty well balanced right now. At 1080p, I can't imagine there being any major fps problem. You have to be getting at least 60 fps.
That CPU/GPU/RAM combo is what I had until I upgraded.
But if the fps issue is on busy servers with AAA games using ultra graphic settings, the GPU would be my first upgrade. If the fps issue is on a busy server using low quality graphics, then the CPU is the bottleneck.

maxvm2013

Commendable
Sep 28, 2017
Man, with a 6C/12T Ryzen and a 1070 you are pretty well balanced right now. At 1080p, I can't imagine there being any major fps problem. You have to be getting at least 60 fps.
That CPU/GPU/RAM combo is what I had until I upgraded.
But if the fps issue is on busy servers with AAA games using ultra graphic settings, the GPU would be my first upgrade. If the fps issue is on a busy server using low quality graphics, then the CPU is the bottleneck.
the only game I have had trouble running is Jedi fallen order, but the reason I made this post is because I was planning to upgrade in the foreseeable future as games slowly become harder to run. My pc can barely run fallen order, with most settings at medium and antialiasing turned off in the .xml file.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That definitely doesn't sound right with those specs. Not at 1080p rez. If you just want to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, go for it. I do that myself... way too often!
But if you want to see if the issue can be remedied, let's check a few things.
  1. Have you run something like CCLeaner lately? Do the Clean and Registry portions both. Let me know if it returns a ton of stuff it finds.
  2. Have you run Malwarebytes to see if there is some poorly written malware/adware/ or some other crapware is hogging resources?
  3. Have you done a full virus scan (including offline scan) to be sure nothing has taken over the system in the background?
  4. Do you have a ton of other apps running in the background while you're gaming?
  5. Is this in single-player (campaign) or multi-player? I don't believe Jedi Fallen Order even has a multi-player mode does it? Where you're playing against other players on a busy server?
  6. Is the CPU or the GPU maxed out when things slow down? List the CPU vs GPU usage. MSI afterburner is good for watching this on-screen.

Last edited:
Solution

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
get a 120 or 144hz monitor before you plan to upgrade your CPU or GPU.
your current setup is solid to play games at 1080p, high, 60fps. since your monitor is 60hz there really is no point of getting 100+fps or playing at 1440p or 4k. there would be a little improvement with better CPU/GPU on 60hz monitor but nothing likr 120 or 144hz.

you just be wasting money by upgrading GPU/CPU if you keep that 60hz monitor.

for low FPS see which is running at 100% cpu or GPU, you can always over clock Ryzen5 1600. but over all your setup should have no problem running AAA games at 1080p,high, 60fps. tweek some ingame settings mate