Apr 17, 2014
Hey folks,

First off, here are my PC specs
AMD r9 3900 xt
Gigabyte Aorus x570 ultra
G.Skill F4-3000C16-16GTZR DDR4 16x2 3000mhz
EVGA SC2 1080TI
Seasonic 850w psu

I recently upgraded my PC with a new CPU/mobo/psu and I have been having issues with my PC ever since. It started off with random restarts after a mild OC - I used AMD Ryzen Master and went with a default OC. After a week of blue screens and random reboots, i removed the OC and no more blue screens.

I also cannot enable XMP. I have 32gb 3000mhz ram that REFUSES to go past 2132, BIOS will show XMP enabled, but the clock speeds do not change. I was able to manually OC the RAM to 2600, but caused blue screens immediately after. I have seen multiple issues with my mobo having issues with XMP and tried every trick i could find on reddit (adjusting power to 1.2v, etc etc)

Now I have my computer set up with zero OCs. Blue screens and restarts are gone, but I have this odd partial freezing. I will be working, or watching videos and its almost as everything stops responding. I can move my mouse, open task manager and force close, but nothing happens. I can open up the start menu and press Restart but it doesn't actually restart.. its just frozen on my desktop (or whatever screen I had open) the only thing that resolves it is a hard shut down thru power button on PC.

I have ran memtest and came back with no issues. I have checked my drivers and windows updates relentlessly, I have updated my BIOS, chipset etc. I feel like I have a faulty piece of hardware, but I cant put my finger on what it is. Nothing is crashing under load, it actually performs better. For instance I can play Cyberpunk for 8 hours with zero issues (minus in-game bugs) but if I'm watching youtube for longer than 30 min, this partial freeze happens.

Anyone have experience with this? Or have some extra troubleshooting steps I could try?

RAM worked fine in my previous system (i7-7700k with Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H) So I'm leaning towards faulty Mobo? (mobo was an open box, maybe someone returned it for the same issue?) I am past the point of returning the mobo so I really need to make sure its the problem before purchasing another. I work from home using this PC so RMAing it and waiting 2 weeks for it to come back is not worth the $200 ill spend on another mobo.

I've also read multiple threads regarding the RAM. Some are Intel specific, and others are AMD. But other posts have said RAM is RAM and anything will work.

I'm torn between RAM not compatible, bad MOBO, or bad CPU. (more so mobo since it was an open box at microcenter)
I'll also add my RAM is only 9ish months old, and had zero issues in my previous Intel system. This all began when I switched to AMD and this new mobo.

If I'm missing any additional info please let me know.
Thanks fam!

Solution
With a new motherboard and old OS, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months
I suspect you've found #3. Especially going from Intel to Ryzen.

Yes, a fresh OS install will almost certainly clear things up.

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
Did you do an OS reinstall with this new hardware?

I did not, and that was going to be my next step, I just wasnt sure a fresh OS install would do anything to help

Looking that you can't oc the ram is it likely either ram or motherboard. Maybe just an incompatiblity between those you chose. Think i would change ram first, is the easiest to change.

Yeah, thats kinda what im leaning towards.. but maybe its the MOBO since i cant OC the CPU either? I dont see any mentions of AMD on G.skills website about it. It does mention Intel z490 board not reaching past 2933mhz with a non-K processor. I dont know if it not mentioning any AMD compatibility is a good or bad thing.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Solution

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely

Awesome, I'll try that this evening and see if that clears anything up. I'll report back afterwards!

Thanks for the help!

Jbur074

Honorable
Apr 17, 2014
NOTE:
This also means a full reinstall of all your applications, drivers, etc.
You're starting from a blank slate.

And you do this install with only ONE drive physically connected.

Yeah I figured as much, which is why I didn't want to try it without someone smarter than myself suggesting it.

Do you think that may solve my OC problem as well? Keep in mind, the only overclocking ill be doing is XMP and Ryzen Master factory "overclock"

USAFRet

Titan
In the context of a full hardware swap, and "issues"...the new OS install IS the place to start.

We see many instances of people swapping hardware, and boasting about success when it boots up.
Later....issues are discovered. Like this.