[SOLVED] PC parts upgrade- GPU vs new build

samuelcaie

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2013
Hi guys! I have an i7-6800K with a GTX 1070 SC, 32 GB RAM at 3200 MHz, and 2x 500 GB SSDs. Trying to decide what's most cost efficient for high end gaming in Warzone, Battlefield 6, and other future games. Currently able to play Warzone fine on low settings at 100 fps, but wanting more frames. Should I just upgrade the GPU to the RTX 3070, or will the rest of my PC become a bottleneck? Also looking at building an i7-11700KF, RTX 3070, 1TB m.2 instead, but of course that's a huge amount of money and basically need all new computer components for that build, and not sure if it's better to just get the GPU for now? Whats your thoughts?

Solution
You will definitely get more frames from the 3070 but the 6800k will limit the full potential of the card. How much it affects will depend on your resolution. At 1080p you will be most limited by the CPU. As you move higher on resolution, the workload shifts more towards the GPU and the CPU limitation diminishes.
Moving to a modern platform will definitely give you most performance provided you have the budget.
You will definitely get more frames from the 3070 but the 6800k will limit the full potential of the card. How much it affects will depend on your resolution. At 1080p you will be most limited by the CPU. As you move higher on resolution, the workload shifts more towards the GPU and the CPU limitation diminishes.
Moving to a modern platform will definitely give you most performance provided you have the budget.

Solution