[SOLVED] PC performance drops after 10 min after start up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anonymous72

Reputable
Feb 28, 2020
One day my PC is running fine next day I come home and experience severe FPS drops on my games not only my games the PC itself feels slow even when opening new tabs in an Explorer.
I have tried SFC /scannow, I tried msconfig, defrag... Not sure what else to do.

Solution
Repaste again in case you got it wrong or remounted the cooler improperly.

You can often tell if you didn't quite get the paste right because temps on some of the cores are a lot higher than other cores, which is a sign that the coverage isn't very even.

If that doesn't help, new CPU cooler possibly. They're not expensive.

But to be honest, if:
  • the cooler is dust free
  • the cooler has fresh paste applied with decent coverage
  • the CPU cooler fan is working properly
  • the cooler is mounted correctly
There's no reason why temps shouldn't improve.

As for the repaste, while it might sound intimidating, it's not a particularly big deal. It's just cleaning some stuff off the CPU and the CPU cooler, both of which are flat...

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
For applying thermal paste:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

The internet is awash with heated debate over X method vs Y method for paste application, but I don't think you need be too troubled - Arctic's suggestion of a single dot as per the video is fine.

And if you don't quite get it right, you can clean the paste off and repaste again. The tube will have enough for several applications of paste.

Reactions: Anonymous72

Anonymous72

Reputable
Feb 28, 2020
For applying thermal paste:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwHB2P6GmM

The internet is awash with heated debate over X method vs Y method for paste application, but I don't think you need be too troubled - Arctic's suggestion of a single dot as per the video is fine.

And if you don't quite get it right, you can clean the paste off and repaste again. The tube will have enough for several applications of paste.
I will resort to this after I am 100% sure it is the CPU thermal paste and not the dust

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020

You can often tell if you didn't quite get the paste right because temps on some of the cores are a lot higher than other cores, which is a sign that the coverage isn't very even.

But to be honest, if:

As for the repaste, while it might sound intimidating, it's not a particularly big deal. It's just cleaning some stuff off the CPU and the CPU cooler, both of which are flat metal surfaces. Then adding a blob of paste as per the video, and fitting the cooler again. Intel stock coolers are very easy to fit, and you're not messing around with mounting plates or any of that fun stuff.

It's stock paste on a stock cooler that's 8 years old. It's quite likely a repaste will sort the problem.

Solution

Anonymous72

Reputable
Feb 28, 2020

But to be honest, if:

As for the repaste, while it might sound intimidating, it's not a particularly big deal. It's just cleaning some stuff off the CPU and the CPU cooler, both of which are flat metal surfaces. Then adding a blob of paste as per the video, and fitting the cooler again. Intel stock coolers are very easy to fit, and you're not messing around with mounting plates or any of that fun stuff.

It's stock paste on a stock cooler that's 8 years old. It's quite likely a repaste will sort the problem.
Ok thank you for this information, what CPU do you recommend for a gigabyte ga z77 hd4 mother board?