haaris404

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
CPU cooler: Noctua D15
GPU: RTX 2070
Memory: 2x8gb 3200 mhz
PSU: 750w psu
Storage: 250GB SSD (windows installed on this drive)
3tb HDD
500gb HDD
Monitor: Acer XF24OH (G-sync compatible)

I recently i bought this PC and built it myself and at the beginning i saw problems with it, before i had the standard cooler and 1x16gb ram stick and a 500w psu. I upgraded these parts because i was told on this forum that it would improve performance of my pc but they really havent. When playing games liek gta 5, watch dogs 2, far cry 5 and dying light, i see my fps stutter and often drop to 40-50. I really have no idea what to do, sometimes these games can be often u playable because of how obvious these stutters and drops are. I really want to improve my PC by next year as i am hoping to play games liek cyberpunk 2077 and watch dogs legion. Any help would be appreciated.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What exact make and model PSU do you have?
How full is your SSD/HDD? (Have you run trims / cleanups / defrags and virus scans?)
Have you monitored GPU and individual CPU core temps under load?
Have you monitored component % usage during the stutters to see if there is a component throttling?
May also be worth just running this userbenchmark just to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not terribly familiar with a couple of those titles, so I am not sure but the first thing that struck me was, are you playing in online mode? Do you have good internet speed?
Is it frame drop, or lag?

You system seems awfully capable in components to be seeing frames that low.

haaris404

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
What exact make and model PSU do you have?
How full is your SSD/HDD? (Have you run trims / cleanups / defrags and virus scans?)
Have you monitored GPU and individual CPU core temps under load?
Have you monitored component % usage during the stutters to see if there is a component throttling?
May also be worth just running this userbenchmark just to see if there is anything obviously wrong.

The PSU is EVGA 750 GQ
SSD has 106 gb free i only use this drive for windows and overwatch, the 500gb HDD i do not use for gaming, the 3tb HDD that i use for gaming has 1.04 tb left
No i have not
How do i do that
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17776090

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Userbenchmark identified you have a reasonable amount of background CPU usage, so may be worth seeing what is running in the background in Resource Monitor that is taking CPU resource.

Monitor GPU and individual CPU core temps under load using HWInfo
You can use Afterburner to check usage of components under load during games (remember individual cores is important, not overall CPU usage)

Have you run malware/virus scans also just to eliminate the obvious? May also be worth running HD Sentinel just to verify your drives are not doing anything obviously wrong.

Do you have latest BIOS and drivers installed?

haaris404

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
Userbenchmark identified you have a reasonable amount of background CPU usage, so may be worth seeing what is running in the background in Resource Monitor that is taking CPU resource.

You can use Afterburner to check usage of components under load during games (remember individual cores is important, not overall CPU usage)

Have you run malware/virus scans also just to eliminate the obvious? May also be worth running HD Sentinel just to verify your drives are not doing anything obviously wrong.

ok i will thank you for the advice

haaris404

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019

What i am probably going to do is a clean re-install of windows

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
OK.

Well that may help with background resource for now, but it may return. But it will also require you to install all new drivers again.

If it is temperatures and you're experiencing some thermal throttling, then it won't help until cooling is improved.
So it is just a case of eliminating if there is anything obvious going on. So I'd go down the temperatures, drivers and BIOS first, just to save the clean install if that doesn't fix the issue.

haaris404

Commendable
Jan 20, 2019
OK.

Well that may help with background resource for now, but it may return. But it will also require you to install all new drivers again.

If it is temperatures and you're experiencing some thermal throttling, then it won't help until cooling is improved.
So it is just a case of eliminating if there is anything obvious going on. So I'd go down the temperatures, drivers and BIOS first, just to save the clean install if that doesn't fix the issue.

It might come back but its worth a shot. Im fine with reinstalling drivers and games again tbh
Also i dont think it is temps because since getting the noctua cooler my cpu doesnt throttle and i dont think it was gpu because i never hear throttling coming from it

Hopefully this is the end of it because i put too much money jnto this pc for it to do this to me

Reactions: PC Tailor