[SOLVED] PC performance worse after upgrading RAM ?

Nov 19, 2021
Hi guys, so today I upgraded from 16gb ram to 32GB ram, however it has seemingly made my overall pc performance worse. My CPU on user benchmarks is performing lower then it used to and the new ram is only performing at 50% also. Here is my Userbenchmark test: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51970141

please can someone help ?

Hi guys, so today I upgraded from 16gb ram to 32GB ram, however it has seemingly made my overall pc performance worse. My CPU on user benchmarks is performing lower then it used to and the new ram is only performing at 50% also.

please can someone help
Do you mean that you upgraded from using 2 memory slots to using all 4 memory slots? If yes, of course it runs slower, its only a dual memory channel system. Basically using 4 memory slots is the equivalent of using 2 separate dual memory channel systems and your memory access speed is reduced accordingly as the system alternates between the 2 dual memory systems. Its not the same as all 4 slots being access simultaneously so the overall speed is lower. In addition if you're using 4 dimms that were not manufactured and sold as a 4 unit set in the exact same manner you should not expect them to perform as a 4 unit set.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021
No I switched out 2 8gb for 2 16gb, however they only seem to work when I’m A1 and A2, if I alternate them like previously then I receive the flashing light on my MOBO between dram and cpu

No I switched out 2 8gb for 2 16gb, however they only seem to work when I’m A1 and A2, if I alternate them like previously then I receive the flashing light on my MOBO between dram and cpu
If they are in A1 and A2, they are likely not functioning in double channel, but only single channel.
That can explain the lack of performance.

What model is your motherboard ?
Can you use CPU-Z and check the Memory and SPD tabs ?

Nov 19, 2021
If they are in A1 and A2, they are likely not functioning in double channel, but only single channel.
That can explain the lack of performance.

What model is your motherboard ?
Can you use CPU-Z and check the Memory and SPD tabs ?
Z490 A-PRO motherboard

when I try to instal cpu-a it just opens notepad

okay so i can see in my CPU-Z that my DRAM Frequency is only 1800MHZ when it should be 3600mhz and that it is running in single channel mode,
No speed is good: you have DDR (d stands for double) 2 x 1800 = 3600 (1800 is the real frequency in MHz, 3600 is MT/s (the tough put))
But yes, the problem is that you must put the sticks in A2 -B2 to be in double channel

Nov 19, 2021
No speed is good: you have DDR (d stands for double) 2 x 1800 = 3600 (1800 is the real frequency in MHz, 3600 is MT/s (the tough put))
But yes, the problem is that you must put the sticks in A2 -B2 to be in double channel
Any idea on why the stick only seem to work in single channel. Tried my old sticks in dual channel and worked fine?

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
Hi guys, so today I upgraded from 16gb ram to 32GB ram, however it has seemingly made my overall pc performance worse. My CPU on user benchmarks is performing lower then it used to and the new ram is only performing at 50% also. Here is my Userbenchmark test: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51970141

please can someone help ?

Are you running the latest bios? I notice msi have released quite a few bios updates with ram performance patches.

Nov 19, 2021
Go to the mobo site and get the latest bios......your behind.
After the install reboot and test to make sure nothing is busted.

If everything looks ok move the ram to a2-b2 and see what the results are.
Did all this and now it won’t even boot in b1 and b2. Only in b1?