Pc performances drop drastically every 1-2 minutes.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016
My friend has been having a quite annoying issue with his system for a long time, it started happening a couple months after he built his computer, when his mother board died for no apparent reason and he got it repaired by some repair shop, his old power supply apparently broke too and got replaced, which i don't understand, but it happened.

Basically, every 1 to 2 minutes his performance when playing any videogame drops from 90-100fps to 20-40fps for about 30 seconds and then goes back to normal. We've been doing some troubleshooting together and this is what came out:

-when the problem occours his cpu temperature drops by 10-20 degrees celsius;
-it's not a driver issue as he updated all of his drivers one by one;
-sometimes he says his entire system freezes/crashes;
-his average GPU temperature while playing games like Fortnite and Rainbow six siege is 60-70 degrees celcius, the same goes for the cpu (give or take).

We think it could be the PSU malfunctioning and not powering the system properly, hence the drop in temperature when he gets fps drops.

CPU: amd fx 8350
GPU: gtx 1050ti 4gb
8gb ram
PSU: fortron hyper m 500 500w 85+ m
MOBO: msi 970A -G43
2tb hard disk

Solution
Likely VRM throttling which is a common problem on that motherboard due it it's poor thermal and power design. To confirm monitor the CPU frequency as it will drop to ~1.4Ghz when its throttling.

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

My friend thanks you prefusely, he tried what you said and the clock went down precisely to 1400Mhz, do you think he can get the chip replaced or does he have to change his motherboard?

Max_Pare

Reputable
May 13, 2016

so you're saying to just dump amd and get a lga1151 motherboard w/intel cpu?