Question PC Performing below expectations (21st percentile)

Aug 21, 2020
I just dusted my PC to see if it being dusty might have affected its performance but it still performs terribly. Maybe I didn't shoot air in the right places but my computer could be under-performing for other reasons. I always ignored this because I had 60hz monitor so frame drops didn't mean much to me but I recently upgraded to a 144hz monitor and frame drops are noticeable. I really only play CS:GO so it shouldn't be hard to run at all, but it is, which is really frustrating given the parts I have.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32027266

Looks normal, userbenchmark isnt accurate because it doesn't allow for the fact a lotnof people are overclocking cpu and gpu.

What does look a little odd is ram performance, is it only 2400mhz ram?
That will affect performance slightly, do you have ram in the correct slots for dual channel?? Latency looks very high on that graph

Aug 21, 2020
Looks normal, userbenchmark isnt accurate because it doesn't allow for the fact a lotnof people are overclocking cpu and gpu.

What does look a little odd is ram performance, is it only 2400mhz ram?
That will affect performance slightly, do you have ram in the correct slots for dual channel?? Latency looks very high on that graph
I don't know what my RAM is, is there a way I can find out? Like, when I got new RAM someone else helped me get it so I can barely remember, it was a long time ago and I was a kid so I was too lazy to figure these things out myself. How can I find out now?

I don't know what my RAM is, is there a way I can find out? Like, when I got new RAM someone else helped me get it so I can barely remember, it was a long time ago and I was a kid so I was too lazy to figure these things out myself. How can I find out now?

I checked the model code, its crucial Ballistix 2400mhx.

Ive used this ram numerous times, its incredibly easy to run it at 2666mhz simply by enabling xmp in bios and changing the speed to 2666mhz.

What will have an even worse performance deficiency than slower ram is if its installed in the wrong slots on the motherboard and is running single channel.

It should be installed like this

0 1 0 1

So slot next to cpu is empty, 2nd slot is filled, then an empty slot, then the slot nearest the front of the board filled.

Aug 21, 2020
I checked the model code, its crucial Ballistix 2400mhx.

Ive used this ram numerous times, its incredibly easy to run it at 2666mhz simply by enabling xmp in bios and changing the speed to 2666mhz.

What will have an even worse performance deficiency than slower ram is if its installed in the wrong slots on the motherboard and is running single channel.

It should be installed like this

0 1 0 1

So slot next to cpu is empty, 2nd slot is filled, then an empty slot, then the slot nearest the front of the board filled.
I entered into my bios and set "A-XMP" to on, but I haven't noticed anything different.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32030242
Does it look different to you? The background CPU was really high because I benchmarked immediately after rebooting so things were reopening on my computer.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I entered into my bios and set "A-XMP" to on, but I haven't noticed anything different.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/32030242
Does it look different to you? The background CPU was really high because I benchmarked immediately after rebooting so things were reopening on my computer.
From your first benchmark you were already using 18% of the processor so you need to stop a bunch of programs from starting on boot.

The really bad part was only 2 GB of free space on the SSD it could not even be tested you need to free up 40GB at the least and leave that much unused for it to function correctly.

I'm with zerk, you need to move some stuff of that ssd.
10% recommended free space, although you'll get away with about 15gb free solely for trim function to operate efficiently.

As said, it's pointless running a benchmark while the system is still booting, I'm assumg you have a ton of automatic starting crapware installed.
I used to have this habit myself, go through them one by one and decide if you really need stuff to start automatically with Windows.

You don't need to remove stuff if it's useful, just stop it auto running on boot with msconfig.

Regarding ram speeds?

Need to goto advanced menu in bios, enable xmp, then change the clock setting to 2666mhz.

Ballistix 'should' run 2666mhz without issue, I've had 6 sets of the stuff that just hit that clock on auto settings

Or use the 'memory try it' button which does seem to work well.

Sort the space issue out first though.

Something also really odd about your cpu clocks, according to those benches it's actually down clocking from the base clock which really shouldn't happen under any kind of load unless it's thermally compromised.

You need to do some other hardware tests, use ryzen masters built in stress tester, you'll be able to see clock speeds on all cores this way.

Aug 21, 2020
Something also really odd about your cpu clocks, according to those benches it's actually down clocking from the base clock which really shouldn't happen under any kind of load unless it's thermally compromised.

You need to do some other hardware tests, use ryzen masters built in stress tester, you'll be able to see clock speeds on all cores this way.
Okay, I'm going to up the mhz on the RAM, and I fiddled with msconfig. If it's thermally compromised does that mean it needs more thermal paste or something or something else wrong with the cooling?

Aug 21, 2020
im on my phone. i went to bios and changed ram frequency so that it said 2667mhz and now when i turn it on, before the screen turns on or my keyboard lights up the computer turns itself off so i <Mod Edit> something up. sorry if i seem really stupid in this thread i just really have no idea what im doing

Last edited by a moderator:
im on my phone. i went to bios and changed ram frequency so that it said 2667mhz and now when i turn it on, before the screen turns on or my keyboard lights up the computer turns itself off so i <Mod Edit> something up. sorry if i seem really stupid in this thread i just really have no idea what im doing

Probably my fault for suggesting it, trust that you ended up with virtually the only ballistic that won't do 2666mhz automatically.

Need to reset the bios.

Its not difficult.

Power the pc down, unplug the psu cable Completely.

Unscrew the left side of the case.

Look at the diagram above

Below the GPU there's is a large round silver battery, jus lt to the right there is a small black jumper block with 2 exposed metal pins.

Take a flat blade screwdriver or small knife (anything metallic and conductive) and bridge these 2 pins together for 3 seconds.

That will reset bios to default.

Power up and you should be good again.

That ryzen master result.

Is that just sitting on desktop or were you running the system stress test when those clocks and temperatures were grabbed?

Aug 21, 2020
Probably my fault for suggesting it, trust that you ended up with virtually the only ballistic that won't do 2666mhz automatically.

Need to reset the bios.

Its not difficult.

Power the pc down, unplug the psu cable Completely.

Unscrew the left side of the case.

Look at the diagram above

Below the GPU there's is a large round silver battery, jus lt to the right there is a small black jumper block with 2 exposed metal pins.

Take a flat blade screwdriver or small knife (anything metallic and conductive) and bridge these 2 pins together for 3 seconds.

That will reset bios to default.

Power up and you should be good again.

That ryzen master result.

Is that just sitting on desktop or were you running the system stress test when those clocks and temperatures were grabbed?
i just did that but turned it on without the battery. i don't know if that was a huge deal but basically i turned the computer back on, (it was completely unplugged while doing the battery thing), and thrn i heard a loud crack and it smelled and now all the outlets in my room don't work holy <Mod Edit> my dad is gonna kill me i have no idea what happened

i just did that but turned it on without the battery. i don't know if that was a huge deal but basically i turned the computer back on, (it was completely unplugged while doing the battery thing), and thrn i heard a loud crack and it smelled and now all the outlets in my room don't work holy <Mod Edit> my dad is gonna kill me i have no idea what happened

That has nothing to do with removing a battery!

Now wondering if your psu is actually at fault here.

Aug 21, 2020
Can I just ask what psu model you're actually using??

A psu tripping a breaker for me would be a bad sign
it says tx650 on it. i moved to the uk a little over a week ago so this was all plugged into a surge protector with universal plugs, could be related to the 120 vs 240v thing. not sure, but nothing shorted like this until right now.

Aug 21, 2020
it says tx650 on it. i moved to the uk a little over a week ago so this was all plugged into a surge protector with universal plugs, could be related to the 120 vs 240v thing. not sure, but nothing shorted like this until right now.
my friend said i should undervolt my pc because i just explained the situation to him

What country did you move from exactly??

Surge protector strips are voltage specific, if your old country was running anything different from 220-240v mains that strip should not be used in the uk.

The txm is a great psu, that will not be at fault here.