Question PC peripherals shuts off during gameplay and display connection is severed but pc stays on.

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
Okay so first, build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JvqNhy
Case, RAM, PSU, and hard drives: 1 year old
MOBO, GPU, CPU, and CPU Cooler: within a month old.
So everything in existence on this pc has been put together one by one so any blatant DOA issues would have been able to be cherry picked immediately.
My issue is that during gameplay, seemingly only in splinter cell: blacklist, the pc will freeze up at random. when this happens, my screen goes black, my peripherals turn off, but EVERY internal in my pc remains powered, cpu cooler, gpu and all (gpu has LED"s so that's what i'm basing it off of.) now 650W on a 1080ti and an R7 2700x @4.1ghz stable is gonna draw a lot of power and i REALLY want to point fingers at the psu. Before anyone begins thrashing their keyboard trying to explain that it's a bug in the game because it's the only game it's happened in i just don't buy it. No bug shuts down every usb port and cuts off video feed to the monitor. Once i've been able to hold the power button but every other time i've had to turn off the psu and reboot it. Windows doesn't have the faintest clue about the crashes and never warns me or tells me that it's been shut down improperly. I'd love to believe it's temps but everything is ALWAYS below 70c and mostly below 60c. I'd love some troubleshooting that doesn't involve blindly ordering parts but i'll do what i must. thanks again.

Okay so first, build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/JvqNhy
Case, RAM, PSU, and hard drives: 1 year old
MOBO, GPU, CPU, and CPU Cooler: within a month old.
So everything in existence on this pc has been put together one by one so any blatant DOA issues would have been able to be cherry picked immediately.
My issue is that during gameplay, seemingly only in splinter cell: blacklist, the pc will freeze up at random. when this happens, my screen goes black, my peripherals turn off, but EVERY internal in my pc remains powered, cpu cooler, gpu and all (gpu has LED"s so that's what i'm basing it off of.) now 650W on a 1080ti and an R7 2700x @4.1ghz stable is gonna draw a lot of power and i REALLY want to point fingers at the psu. Before anyone begins thrashing their keyboard trying to explain that it's a bug in the game because it's the only game it's happened in i just don't buy it. No bug shuts down every usb port and cuts off video feed to the monitor. Once i've been able to hold the power button but every other time i've had to turn off the psu and reboot it. Windows doesn't have the faintest clue about the crashes and never warns me or tells me that it's been shut down improperly. I'd love to believe it's temps but everything is ALWAYS below 70c and mostly below 60c. I'd love some troubleshooting that doesn't involve blindly ordering parts but i'll do what i must. thanks again.
You need a stronger psu by like 150w more the 1080ti in itself is using like 500wats the cpu about 100wats and you still have a mobo hdd lights fans and everything else that add up

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
You need a stronger psu by like 150w more the 1080ti in itself is using like 500wats the cpu about 100wats and you still have a mobo hdd lights fans and everything else that add up
Yea after further research I’m aware I’m probably tying to pull 700w. My old 1060 is doing okay in the game. What I don’t get a why it’s not doing this in other games. Why just blacklist. Doesn’t make sense to me. Is blacklist so poorly optimized that it pulls more than it can chew? I’m down to buy a psu but I need to know why I’m doing it first.
Edit: also the 1080ti caps out at 275w. It’s my entire system that pulls a bigger load than it can handle. If it’s the power draw then shouldn’t every AAA game I pull up be freezing my system like this?
Edit II: so it played for hours on the 1060 just fine but within an hour on the 1080ti it froze up. I turned off the psu and booted up again. Windows said it ran into a problem and had to restart.

Last edited:
Yea after further research I’m aware I’m probably tying to pull 700w. My old 1060 is doing okay in the game. What I don’t get a why it’s not doing this in other games. Why just blacklist. Doesn’t make sense to me. Is blacklist so poorly optimized that it pulls more than it can chew? I’m down to buy a psu but I need to know why I’m doing it first.
Edit: also the 1080ti caps out at 275w. It’s my entire system that pulls a bigger load than it can handle. If it’s the power draw then shouldn’t every AAA game I pull up be freezing my system like this?
If i remember correctly the 10xx's auto oc themselves as long as they stay cool enough and just go and go untill there told to stop it may just be drawing to much power trying to oc itself Don't quote me on that im not 100% But after further research myself a little not to much you need a stronger psu use pc wat calculator it helps a lot.

BoondockSaint080

Honorable
Jul 8, 2016
If i remember correctly the 10xx's auto oc themselves as long as they stay cool enough and just go and go untill there told to stop it may just be drawing to much power trying to oc itself Don't quote me on that im not 100% But after further research myself a little not to much you need a stronger psu use pc wat calculator it helps a lot.
I used the calculator. Recommended exactly what I have. In theory it should be the power but I’m not entirely convinced.
Edit: also it’s constantly oc’d to over 1900mhz at high usage across the board on any game, so it’s not an overclock.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS