Question PC posts and runs for 2 to 5mins > mystery (more info inside)

May 7, 2019
I was playing destiny 2 like I do every night for 6 hours (lol). And all of a sudden I smelled a very weird burning smell was also very strong. Since I use air cooling and I OC my gpu and I have a notoriously hot cpu (fx 9590) I monitor all my systems, temps clocks and voltages...all was normal when smell developed ..GPU was at 50c , cpu at 43c all clocks and voltages were the same, I have so many fans I could not see any smoke or anything. Destiny and all programs continued to run without errors. Then after about 10 minutes of physically checking pc and downloading more diagnostic systems and everything looked normal on screen and in case, then screen went black and my steel series game DAC went blank and mouse rbgs started flickering (only two devices plugged into my USB 3 slots) everything else was in usb 2.0 and stayed on. All fans and lights stayed on, and My north bridge was really hot, Even tho all was on I could tell system was not running as fans started to throttle as components started to cool down. Usually I would hold the power button on my pc to turn off in this situation but I wouldnt work. I held it for a minute and nothing changed. Finally I had to hit the switch on back of PSU. I booted up again and it posted as usually and I opened chrome and started to investigate the issue and then same issue happened. Booted a 3rd time and went into bios and all was normal then same issue....screen goes black, power button doesnt work, fans throttle and components get cold but stay on. Meanwhile the entire room was filled with that strange but strong burning smell.
I had been using the pc for 5 months with same settings and hardware and no issues. Mobo is 7 years old but I cant see any burnt parts or issues with it and my mobo doesnt have temp sensors so I cant see if it is over heating. Any clues would be much appreciated and I am sorry but I typed this on my phone as I have stopped trying to use my pc. Thanks

I have AMD FX 9590
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 2 ICx
Boot from HHD western Digital veloca raptor
Have a 250 GB SSD I store games on
700 watt psu
Gigabyte 990fx UDA 3 mobo
2x 8gb corsair 2400 gdr3 RAM

Here is the info, i imagine it should be easy to figure out

newest component is the GPU I got 4 months ago, I am an avid gamer I OC my GPU core clock no more than 36mhz and dont mess with voltage

Not all revisions of the Gigabyte 990fx UDA 3 support AMD FX-9000 Series CPUs. Recommended cooling is a robust AIO Liquid CPU Cooler with air blowing on components surrounding the CPU socket. Some people claim some of the better air CPU coolers also are adequate for cooling.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd be curious as to the exact PSU and cooling as well, in order to give any kind of useful evaluation of the situation. The FX-9590 is a nightmare under the best of conditions; if the PSU and cooling aren't chosen well, it's even worse.

May 7, 2019
Hey all thanks for leading me in the right direction I inspected mobo more closely and found an oil stain circle on the underside of mobo, positioned right under the north bridge, then I saw that the heat sink of the NB was all oily as well. And it smelled exactly like the odor that came off my pc when things went south.

I know a blown VRM or capacitor is something I can get repaired but I think I should replace the mobo, any suggestions for a new mobo?
and thanks again looks like the mobo was the issue more info below

Thermal paste: MASSCOOL G751 Shin-Etsu Thermal Interface Material

Cpu cooler: EVO 212 with 2x Noctua Fans push pull set up

PSU: Rosewill RX750-S-B - Xtreme Series 750-Watt Active PFC Power Supply - Continuous @ 104 Deg. F (40C), 80 PLUS Bronze, ATX 12V v2.2 & EPS 12V v2.91, SLI & CrossFire-Ready

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A capacitor only makes sense as a repair if you can identify it and do it yourself; paying someone to do it would rapidly cost far more than the equipment is worth.

You also want a high-quality PSU and cooler if you're using this CPU. Neither are acceptable for a CPU such as this. Budget PSU + budget cooler with an unstable 220W CPU is a disaster waiting to happen (which appears to have).

I think what it comes down to is budget. It is not recommended to try to revive the CPU unless you also invest in a proper PSU and cooler for it. And it's hard to tell you to spend $100 on a PSU, $100 on a liquid cooler, and probably $150 on a motherboard just to run a 9590, which is outperformed by budget Ryzen CPUs.

May 7, 2019
So the Evo 212 plus with Noctua fans is not enough? My cpu temp never goes above 45c even after 12 hours of dayz. if so....what is the BEST AIR Cooler for a FX 9590? as the cpu works fine the mobo died and is there any thing I can get like a VRM cooler to prevent this happening in the future.

Also I will bump up to a 800 watt psu, do I need bronze silver or gold rates? Any PSU suggestions also appreciated.

Im thinking of buying the mobo specified below on amazon prime its 140$ but I can use my points and get it for free, check out the photo from the box i post

4.0 out of 5 stars 219Reviews
ASRock 970A-G/3.1 Socket AM3+/ AMD 970/ DDR3/ Quad CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.1/ M.2/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
XUkax41.jpg

looking back I should have swapped to Ryzen but i dont get why going to a lower clock speed will improve my fps, Efficiency is cool and all but I dont care how big my psu needs to be or how much my energy bill is. Any ways I know the issue is solved so I wont feel bad if no one replies any more, thanks again all

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Clock speed doesn't mean anything when comparing chips of different architecture. I think the last time using clock speed as a method of comparison was a valid way to evaluate CPUs was like 1989 or so.

Running this dumpster fire of a CPU with a budget motherboard/cooler is just asking for trouble, as you've already seen. It's not worth sinking more money into. You should be looking at 750W EVGA G2/Corsair RMx/SeaSonic Focus at least and an h100 cooler - measuring FX CPUs temperatures is highly inaccurate and only AMD Afterburner comes even close.

This is what we call throwing good money after bad, but it's your money to flush, so all I can do is wish you good fortune.