Pc posts but no display

Jimmytwohand

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Hi all,

While playing a game my display went blank.

A) I tried powering off and on and I get one beep, the pc logo and the f2 to enter bios message. I then get the logo with a swirly circle. Then the monitor goes blank and says no signal.

B) I restarted again and it displays the recovery, "windows did not load correctly screen". If I choose restart my pc it goes to A again. I have tried disconnecting all peripherals before booting.

C) Advanced repair options >troubleshoot>startup repair attempts repairs and says "couldn't repair, log file c:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\stttrail.txt"

Trying to repair from the windows disk also fails.

Chkdsk doesn't find any errors when run from the command prompt on the c: boot drive.

I took out the ram and got one long beep and two short ones. This repeated until I turned off.

I then put the ram in a different slot (at random, I have very limited knowledge). The computer booted fine. After about five minutes the monitor went black again.

The next restart it again got to the windows screen but there was lots of artefacts and it again went to black after about 30 seconds.

Any advice would be appreciated.....

Many thanks,
James

-----------------

COOLER MASTER SILENCIO 452 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
8GB Kingston DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
8gb AMD RADEON™ R9 390 - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 12 - VR Ready Premium
120GB SAMSUNG 750 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
CORSAIR 650W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Scott_56

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2016
hi there with you saying about artefacts on the screen it sounds like you GPU is faulty do you have on board graphics on the motherboard so you can test how the system runs you can tell by the back of the PC will have hdmi or vga cable port around the usb ports also remove the GPU before you try this

Jimmytwohand

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Hi Scott, thank you for your help. It looks like my igpu hdmi output has a plastic cover that I cannot take off without removing the motherboard from the case.

Jimmytwohand

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

No spare I am afraid. I'll go at it with whatever I can find and see if I can rip it off.

Jimmytwohand

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Ok, the igpu output does not seem to be showing the same error..... is it a problem I have been running on less than the recommended psu and does this mean the graphics card is fried?