[SOLVED] PC posts slower when it was powered off for a while

cesarmarti

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
For example, when I turn on the PC in the morning it takes a few seconds for it to post and the bios to load (I can see this because the fans are spinning at max speed and the case LEDs aren't on). After a few seconds (3-5) it posts, fans slowdown and the case lights turn on.
If I turn the PC off and after a few hours turn it back on (or right away), it posts almost immediately (slow fans and LED lights) and starts booting.
I don't know what could be the difference when I power the PC on if it was shut down for 2 hours vs when it was shut down for 10+ hours.
This whole thing doesn't really bother me, I am just curious what could be happening. Maybe because the hardware is still cold in the morning? idk

Solution
Yep, nothing to worry about, takes a long time to drain all the power.

Do A Proper Power Reset.
Doing proper power reset is easy. It isn't the same as simply shutting down your machine.

A proper power reset means draining all the electricity out of the system.
This will properly reset the hardware and also clear volatile memory, it also helps since Windows will be restarted after, clearing out any memory leaks, not enough system resources or other problems that might get in the way of the repairs.

Have you ever heard someone say their computer wasn't working right, so they unhooked it, took it to a computer repair shop and when they got there the system was working fine? This is because the power had drained out of the system...

Johnwmel

Notable
Jan 21, 2021

Do A Proper Power Reset.
Doing proper power reset is easy. It isn't the same as simply shutting down your machine.

This will properly reset the hardware and also clear volatile memory, it also helps since Windows will be restarted after, clearing out any memory leaks, not enough system resources or other problems that might get in the way of the repairs.

Have you ever heard someone say their computer wasn't working right, so they unhooked it, took it to a computer repair shop and when they got there the system was working fine? This is because the power had drained out of the system!

(Step 1) Shut down and power off the computer.

(Step 2) Once the computer is powered off, unplug the power cord. If it is a laptop also remove the battery. It is important that any way for the system to keep getting power is unplugged or unhooked.

(Step 3) With the power cord unplugged and the battery removed (if you have one), hit the power button a few times as if you are trying to turn on the computer. When you do this and the computer tries to turn on, all the electricity is drained out of the system.

(Step 4) Plug the power cord back in and reinsert the battery (if you have one) and turn the computer on.

Solution

cesarmarti

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015

Do A Proper Power Reset.

Have you ever heard someone say their computer wasn't working right, so they unhooked it, took it to a computer repair shop and when they got there the system was working fine? This is because the power had drained out of the system!

(Step 1) Shut down and power off the computer.

(Step 2) Once the computer is powered off, unplug the power cord. If it is a laptop also remove the battery. It is important that any way for the system to keep getting power is unplugged or unhooked.

(Step 3) With the power cord unplugged and the battery removed (if you have one), hit the power button a few times as if you are trying to turn on the computer. When you do this and the computer tries to turn on, all the electricity is drained out of the system.

(Step 4) Plug the power cord back in and reinsert the battery (if you have one) and turn the computer on.
Aha, so if I understand you correctly - the reason it takes longer to boot up when it was turned off for some time is because the PSU gets drained over the duration and needs to recharge or something?