PC power button remains blinking after shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2019
Sometimes it happens that I shut down the PC but the led of the power button remains blinking. What can cause this? I bought the PC from a store which did build me the parts together. Could they mess up something with the power cables or what?

Sorry for bad english and thank you! :D

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This MAY be HOW you "shut down". I use this feature all the time, so maybe you are doing it without realizing it.

When you click on Start and go to Turn Off your computer, one of the three options is to :Stand By". When you choose this, Windows stores a complete image of RAM and system status in a file on your C: drive, then shuts down ALMOST everything. Then it blinks the front panel system power light to indicate that it is in this Stand By mode. If you then hit any keyboard key, Windows comes back to life really fast, re-loads its RAM image and is ready to work very quickly. Is that what your system is doing?

Jan 16, 2019
First person: But it's not like the PC shuts down suddenly, or doesn't start, etc. Like I read about in many other problems... It is just simply that the power button led remains blinking. Is this still a power supply problem? And should I care to change the PSU?

Second person:
I alwasy press the "Shut down" button. Usually the case is that the led remains how I said and when I turn on the computer and go into web browser it shows the option to restore pages. But the computer isn't in "stand by" and when it is turned off nothing happens when I press a key. Less often even my keyboard's backlight remains and it glows in the dark when I sleep. I really don't know what is this... :D

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suggest you look in your mobo's manual where it talks about several options in BIOS Setup for power control and Sleep States. I am less familiar with those. But there are settings you can choose so that the keyboard OR mouse OR modem can trigger a start-up when you computer is shut down. This is to allow those devices to respond to things when you are not actually there to use the computer. Your BIOS may be set to enable one of those states, and that MAY be why your keyboard's backlight remains lit.

Jan 16, 2019
If what my setup does did not blow away your mind already, the solution will, for sure...
So let's say that the basic state is that my computer works fine. If I put the PC in "Sleep" mode, then when wake it, and after that shut it down, the power led remains blinking.
BUT if then I turn on the PC, and put it once more in "Sleep" mode, than after I wake it and shut down, the led won't blink.
What the hell... XD

(sorry for bad english)

Jun 28, 2020
😂😂😂 This is priceless, I can't believe the fix was this simple.
The higher ranked results on google included taking the machine apart and tracing the problem on the circuit board with a multi-meter!
Thanks for your help, the blinking power light was driving me crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.