Question PC power-button requires extra-long press to boot ?

CrossBird

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Configuration:
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H
Processor: Intel Core i3 7100, 3.9 GHz
RAM: G.Skill 8 GB DDR4-2400 MHz (single stick)
SSD: SanDisk PLUS, 120 GB
GPU: Intel HD 630 (Internal)
PSU: Corsair CX 450
Previous PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W
Usage: MS Office, Casual browsing, No editing, No gaming
System Age: 4 years

With the previous PSU (Seasonic) the PC already had a long-press problem, but was able to start within 2 minutes of long press.

Recently, the PC got stuck in a boot loop. I replaced the PSU with a brand new Corsair CX 450. The boot loop problem was resolved, and initially the long-press issue also seemed to have gone. Within a few switch-ons however the long-press issue returned. Now, it needs to be kept pressed for nearly 4-5 minutes before it turns on.

There are no issues once it turns on - moves effortlessly to Windows Start and functions normally thereafter. It sleeps normally too, and wakes up when a key is pressed. The only issue is the extra long-press start.

What I've tried so far:
  1. Cleaning out dust (wasn't much) -- doesn't work.
  2. Shorting the switch pins on the MoBo -- doesn't work.
  3. Changing the RAM slot -- doesn't work.
  4. Removing an extra HDD -- long-press interval shortened briefly, but increased again next time I switched on.
  5. Switching OFF the PSU, waiting, switching ON -- time interval reduces slightly (from 4-5 minutes to 1-3 minutes).
It's queer that the earlier PSU (520W) took 1-2 minutes long-press, while the brand new one (450W) takes longer. I state this in particular since this may give some real clues about the nature of the problem.

CrossBird

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
can you disconnect you PSU from mainboard and jumpstart it?
if it starts, then either your mainboard is deffective or power button is defective

Thanks @kerberos_20 . The PSU functions, which is to say it isn't dead. The power button too is fine.

If it is the MoBo, where might the defect be? Could an outdated BIOS cause this problem? I checked and the current version is from 2017. The last update on the BIOS came out in 2018. However, this long-press start problem started much after that (2020). Besides, everything else is working fine (no freezes, no automatic reboots or shutdowns, etc.). It even wakes up smoothly from a 24-hr sleep. In fact, that's how I'm running it now; I don't completely shut down, just leave it in sleep mode.

Can anyone help out with where the problem might be? Mods, can this question be moved to the Mobo section for a better resolution chance? Thanks.

CrossBird

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Updated the BIOS to latest version. CMOS/battery reset/checked. Start button still needs a long-press to boot. Really not sure if this is a PSU or MoBo issue.

Side question: When a PSU goes kaput, can it take out the mobo with it? Can it short the mobo circuits for instance?

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Updated the BIOS to latest version. CMOS/battery reset/checked. Start button still needs a long-press to boot. Really not sure if this is a PSU or MoBo issue.

Side question: When a PSU goes kaput, can it take out the mobo with it? Can it short the mobo circuits for instance?
yes it can, that is why you cant cheap out on psu. very important to get a at least a tier c psu from the list below:

CrossBird

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
yes it can, that is why you cant cheap out on psu. very important to get a at least a tier c psu from the list below:

So if the PSU took my mobo out with it, would the mobo still be able to boot up, even if after a long-press on the start button? Would it awaken from sleep mode and function normally, and would it take a BIOS update without a glitch?

Just trying to narrow down which one may be faulty - mobo or PSU.

The PSU isn't dead, that I know. It's able to awaken the PC from sleep mode and function normally thereafter. It just seems to have a hard time powering up the PC after a complete shut down (Windows shutdown).

The mobo allows the PC to function normally after start up/sleep. No freezes, no glitches, not even during or after a BIOS update.

It appears the PSU may be the one struggling here, isn't it?