[SOLVED] PC power cuts off

Jackr987

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hello,

I've got a bit of an issue where the PC will shut off instantly. It can happen at random times throughout the week, but never really more than once a day. (Sometimes it will go weeks without shutting off). To turn the PC back on I need to give the power cable a little wiggle and it instantly powers back on. I've tested the stability with Prime95, intelburn test and done a memtest overnight, the PC seems stable under load and I've had no issues with the testing.

I also bought a PSU tester which seemed the indicate the PSU was fine, and I've made sure the power cable is tight in the PSU, however does this sound like I need to replace the power supply?

Corsair rm750W
R5 1600X @3.9GHz
MSI B350 Tomahawk
RTX 2060S
16GB 3200Mhz

Solution
Time and heat can wear out electrical parts. Count Mike is probably correct: Something in the PSU is going out and a bad solder joint is a pretty good guess.
Hello,

I've got a bit of an issue where the PC will shut off instantly. It can happen at random times throughout the week, but never really more than once a day. (Sometimes it will go weeks without shutting off). To turn the PC back on I need to give the power cable a little wiggle and it instantly powers back on. I've tested the stability with Prime95, intelburn test and done a memtest overnight, the PC seems stable under load and I've had no issues with the testing.

I also bought a PSU tester which seemed the indicate the PSU was fine, and I've made sure the power cable is tight in the PSU, however does this sound like I need to replace the power supply?

Corsair rm750W
R5 1600X @3.9GHz
MSI B350 Tomahawk
RTX 2060S
16GB 3200Mhz
"I need to give the power cable a little wiggle"
Isn't it obvious that something is wrong with power cable or it's ends ? Did you try another one ?

Jackr987

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
"I need to give the power cable a little wiggle"
Isn't it obvious that something is wrong with power cable or it's ends ? Did you try another one ?
The thing is is that it's snug in there, and the PC does not get knocked or moved in any way. Any other cable that I try seems to work, however the shutdowns are so random that I can't determine if it's the cable or the PSU. I don't know if this is a typical sign of a failing PSU or is just a cable that needs replacing.

TRENDING THREADS