[SOLVED] PC power cuts out a second after turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2020
Hi - My PC has started losing power about a second after I turn it on, it then starts itself back up and goes into a BIOS recovery screen. Hitting F1 to then get to the BIOS I find it reset to default settings. Save & Exit and the PC reboots and loads Windows normally. This started a few weeks ago (I've only just found the time to post here) and has happened every time I've turned the PC on for the first time that day (i.e. since switching on the power socket at the wall) - if the power socket at the wall was already switched on, and the PC had previously been on earlier in the day, the issue does not seem to occur.

This is the screen it eventually loads into:

I've also taken a video to show the power cutting out after turning the box on: https://streamable.com/l7bbn9 (the noise is my old DVD drive from my previous 2011 build)

I can't say I noticed anything in particular had happened when the issue first started to occur, i.e. power cut whilst it was switched on, cables coming lose, or tower knocked etc.

Has anyone seen anything like this before, or anyone able to share any troubleshooting tips?

PC Specs:
Asus Prime Z370-A
Intel i7-8700K
Corsair RM650x PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15
Samsung 970 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2
Samsung 860 Evo
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super

Originally built just under 2 years ago (mobo, CPU), various upgrades this summer (RAM, SSDs, GPU) and fresh Windows 10 install to overcome a longstanding BSOD issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
did you tried to change the battery on the motherboard ? should be a standard CR2032

maybe the battery is dead and your motherboard has to do the initial startup at each startup (you don't remember this from when you buit it probably, but the first time ever you boot a computer, it's a way longer boot, because it try ram and CPU, set the speeds, and reboot)

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
did you tried to change the battery on the motherboard ? should be a standard CR2032

maybe the battery is dead and your motherboard has to do the initial startup at each startup (you don't remember this from when you buit it probably, but the first time ever you boot a computer, it's a way longer boot, because it try ram and CPU, set the speeds, and reboot)

Reactions: MrMoo28
Solution
Apr 21, 2020

I have not... but luckily I think I have a 2032 spare after just needing to get some for my car keys! I'll give this a whirl and report back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.