[SOLVED] PC power cycle and reboot continuously.

Jun 12, 2020
PC power cycle and reboot continuously.
Hello everyone
About 1 month ago I helped a friend built a windows platform mostly for audio and PR with some light gaming.
The configuration as the following:
I9 9900K
16GB X4 Corsair Dominator Ram
Gigabyte Z390 Designer MB
Corsair H850I power supply
Corsair H150I platinum cooling
Corsair 465X RGB FAN CASE

Everything was great and running smoothly for the past month.
Until he went out of town and shut the PC down for 4 days.
Today he came back and try to turn on the PC. After turning for a few seconds, the PC shuts down and reboot with out even completing the self testing or beeping or going through the bios. While its on I can see RGB lights running through the fans and the heat pump of the CPU, as well as RAM. And this power cycle process keeps going itself and sometimes it can ran up to nearly a minute before its start to reboot again. During this whole time, no system load or going to the bios the screen is completely dark.

I have take out the cmos battery and wait for 15 second before I put it back and take out all the RAM and put it back again and unplug the 12 pin motherboard power supply and plug it back again and plug and unplug the power and rest header as well. None for them seems solve the issue.

Any other suggestions before I swap power supply, CPU, or motherboard for testing? And what could possibly be the cause given that its been off for 4 days before this problem start to occur.? thanks for your comments

Solution
I would lean toward a bad PSU or MoBo, you can smell around the Board and PSU and that may be a hint on which one. Also, you could try reseating all cables, as it could be a cooling issue. If the MoBo is not seeing the fans/cooler, this will cause it to power cycle. I'd suggest pulling all cables, inspect them and then reseat them, including the CPU power cables. also, pull and reseat the GPU and HDD cables. Then also pull and reseat the module power cables. Sometimes they are not fully seated in the PSU and that will cause an issue. Do they happen to have the computer plugged directly into the wall instead of using a surge protector?

Cere

Great
Jun 6, 2020
I would lean toward a bad PSU or MoBo, you can smell around the Board and PSU and that may be a hint on which one. Also, you could try reseating all cables, as it could be a cooling issue. If the MoBo is not seeing the fans/cooler, this will cause it to power cycle. I'd suggest pulling all cables, inspect them and then reseat them, including the CPU power cables. also, pull and reseat the GPU and HDD cables. Then also pull and reseat the module power cables. Sometimes they are not fully seated in the PSU and that will cause an issue. Do they happen to have the computer plugged directly into the wall instead of using a surge protector?

Solution
Jun 12, 2020
Thanks for your quick reply. I don't have a GPU installed yet. I will try to recable the power supply