Question PC power cycles when booting. The BIOS is reachable, stable, and doesn’t power cycle ?

Jul 25, 2022
I built my new PC outside of the case to test it, and I was able to post and enter BIOS. Everything worked perfectly the first day after I installed Windows 11 and assembled it inside the case. The next day, something happened while I was away that caused the computer to continuously attempt to perform an automatic repair (unsuccessfully each time), and now every time it attempts to boot, a power cycle loop begins in which the computer attempts to boot, resets (powers off and on again), attempts to boot again, and will not stop till I enter BIOS (in which it can stay on indefinitely). SSD has been wiped and its integrity confirmed since then, and the problem persists.

All components (CPU, RAM, SSD, fans) are detected in BIOS, temps are stable, Debug LEDs do not indicate any issues, and there is a proper video signal from both the iGPU and the RTX GPU.

Have tried reseating everything outside the case, including the CPU and its cooler (with new thermal paste application), testing different ram slots individually with each stick, booting without SSD. All attempts to boot (using a flash drive) into Ubuntu 22.04 64-bit, Windows 11 64-bit, memtest86+, and UBCD have been unsuccessful as they are shortly followed by the power cycle issue.

This is a desperate call for help. What is going on?

System Specs (All components are brand new):
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K – No OC
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4 (MS7D31) – BIOS version E7D31IMS.170, build date: 06/27/2022
  • Storage: KINGSTON KC3000 1TB (SKC3000S/1024G)
  • RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) (TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01) – Stock speed (2400 MHz).
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB (10G-P5-3897-KL) – No OC
  • PSU: Corsair RMx Series (2021) RM850x 850W
  • CASE: Fractal Design Torrent Compact Case Dark TG
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S with NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan
Thank you for your time.

I built my new PC outside of the case to test it, and I was able to post and enter BIOS. Everything worked perfectly the first day after I installed Windows 11 and assembled it inside the case. The next day, something happened while I was away that caused the computer to continuously attempt to perform an automatic repair (unsuccessfully each time), and now every time it attempts to boot, a power cycle loop begins in which the computer attempts to boot, resets (powers off and on again), attempts to boot again, and will not stop till I enter BIOS (in which it can stay on indefinitely). SSD has been wiped and its integrity confirmed since then, and the problem persists.

All components (CPU, RAM, SSD, fans) are detected in BIOS, temps are stable, Debug LEDs do not indicate any issues, and there is a proper video signal from both the iGPU and the RTX GPU.

Have tried reseating everything outside the case, including the CPU and its cooler (with new thermal paste application), testing different ram slots individually with each stick, booting without SSD. All attempts to boot (using a flash drive) into Ubuntu 22.04 64-bit, Windows 11 64-bit, memtest86+, and UBCD have been unsuccessful as they are shortly followed by the power cycle issue.

This is a desperate call for help. What is going on?

System Specs (All components are brand new):
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K – No OC
  • Motherboard: MSI MPG Z690 Edge WiFi DDR4 (MS7D31) – BIOS version E7D31IMS.170, build date: 06/27/2022
  • Storage: KINGSTON KC3000 1TB (SKC3000S/1024G)
  • RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) (TLZRD432G3200HC16FDC01) – Stock speed (2400 MHz).
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB (10G-P5-3897-KL) – No OC
  • PSU: Corsair RMx Series (2021) RM850x 850W
  • CASE: Fractal Design Torrent Compact Case Dark TG
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S with NF-A15 PWM 140mm fan
Thank you for your time.
https://download.msi.com/bos_exe/mb/7D31v17.zip

Have you installed this before trying to install windows? It's the latest bios for your mobo