[SOLVED] PC power cycles with new GPU installed

justintylerfoley

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
*I should mention, THE PC BOOTS COMPLETELY FINE WITHOUT THE 2060 INSTALLED, AND WORKS WITH THE 1060 OR THE IGPU, THIS ISSUE ONLY HAPPENS WITH THE 2060 INSTALLED

*Link to reddit post with a video that goes into more detail

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/cwpb9b/new_gpu_constantly_power_cycling_system_upgrading/

Spec's:
CPU - I5 6600k @ 3.5ghz base, 3.9 turbo

MOBO - ROG Maximus VIII Gene

RAM - HyperX Fury 2x8Gb @ 2666 Mhz

GPU - Asus Dual GTX 1060 3Gb, Aorus RTX 2060 Super

STORAGE 2x Barracuda 7200 RPM, 1x 256Gb Kingston Savage SSD

PSU - Tested with both my old Coolermaster G650M and the newly purchased Corsair CX650

I just upgraded from my 1060 to a 2060 super, the PC Power cycled whenever I tried to turn it on. I have been suggested to try it with a new psu in case one of the PCIE rails is not supplying enough power for the GPU to operate correctly, and my Corsair psu just arrived today. I plugged everything into the psu and it did not post and just power cycled. Fans would spin slightly then it would shut off and repeat this every 0.5 seconds. The LED's for power would flash on and then off in union with all other LED's in the system. With a different PSU, the system would seem to inch a little farther and the GPU power indicator LED's would flash white indicating the card is recieving sufficient power then shut off like every fan and LED in the case.

I had the GPU tested at Memory Express incase it didn't work and would RMA it, however the guy at the repair desk took it around the back and placed it into one of their systems and said it booted to windows.

Things I've tried:

- Resetting CMOS

- Clearing drivers via DDU

- Different PSU

- Different PCIE cables

• Different PCIE slots
  • Updated BIOS to most recent and even a slightly older version
Is there anything I'm missing completely, or is there an unseen compatability error that can be fixed, or should I take it in for repair since I'm damn near the end of my rope with fixing this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
First of all, I'd put the BIOS back to the most recent version. Older versions are not going to be helpful with a newer graphics card architecture.

After you do that, do a hard reset of the CMOS as follows:

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Install the 2060 making certain that it fully seates and that the PCI lock snaps...
First of all, I'd put the BIOS back to the most recent version. Older versions are not going to be helpful with a newer graphics card architecture.

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

Install the 2060 making certain that it fully seates and that the PCI lock snaps into place. Now reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

If it still won't work then I'd RMA the card regardless that the Memory express tech said it worked fine in their system. Especially if you bought the card there and didn't actually SEE them install and POST with the card installed. I have a very similar system to yours with a Hero VIII and a 6700k and I had no such issues with my 2060 Super, so it's unlikely to be an incompatibility issue of any kind. Drivers should be irrrelevant as well since those don't even load until after the POST process and basic display capability is a necessity to even install windows before there are any drivers installed whatsoever. If drivers were an issue, you'd never be able to see anything to install windows in a new build.

Solution

justintylerfoley

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Install the 2060 making certain that it fully seates and that the PCI lock snaps into place. Now reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

If it still won't work then I'd RMA the card regardless that the Memory express tech said it worked fine in their system. Especially if you bought the card there and didn't actually SEE them install and POST with the card installed. I have a very similar system to yours with a Hero VIII and a 6700k and I had no such issues with my 2060 Super, so it's unlikely to be an incompatibility issue of any kind. Drivers should be irrrelevant as well since those don't even load until after the POST process and basic display capability is a necessity to even install windows before there are any drivers installed whatsoever. If drivers were an issue, you'd never be able to see anything to install windows in a new build.

Will do, I'll leave the thread open for now since I've already RMA'd the GPU and wont be able to test if this fixes the issue.

Thanks for your help so far though!

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS