Question PC power cycling at startup for no apparent reason.

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
Recently i upgraded my older haswell pc with the following :

Gigabyte B460M d3h motherboard
i5 10400F,,
8+8 Gb corsair DDR4 3200 mhz ram

The following components were re-used (purchased last year):

Zotac gtx 1060 6gb,
Corsair TXM 550 PSU

however i have noticed that occasionally,when i attempt to turn the computer on by pressing the power button on the pc case,it does not turn on at the very first try.Then when i press the power button again(for the 2nd time),it turns on,only to turn off within seconds and back on again and proceeds to boot into windows normally.

Why is the motherboard acting like this?I also clean installed windows and updated my drivers but the problem still persists.Please note that after the system boots into windows,it continues to run normally and i experience no problems at all.

I have even updated the bios to the latest version(F4) and tried disabling windows fast startup,but to no avail.Whenever i experience this power cycling issue,event manager in windows displays this message:

"Windows Failed Fast Startup with Error 0xC00000D4".

I suspected that it might have something to do with my ram modules,so i ran memtest but no errors were detected,even disabling XMP in the bios yielded no results and this annoying power cycling continues to occur randomly while performing a cold boot.

Is there any way to determine what might be causing this issue?Could the motherboard itself be faulty?

if i remember correctly,i had properly connected the header for the power switch to my mobo.

Could it possibly have become loose or unsteady?Can a loose connection cause such issues?
I would believe that a loose connection could generate such a behavior.
If you take out the connection from the motherboard, and if you use a flat screwdriver to touch the 2 pins for a few seconds, it has the same effect as pushing the power button. I would try this just to see if it boots consistently.
It could also be a problem with the button on the case itself