Question PC POWER CYCLING ISSUE

dinkbutt

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I am having an issue with my PC. When I turn it on, it power cycles a few times and that is it. I assumed it was the PSU even though the old one tested OK, as I heard the test can be a false positive. The motherboard looks in good condition, none of the capacitors are bulging or leaking. I have tested the motherboard with only the CPU installed and the same thing occurs.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I almost just dropped a bunch of money on a new build, but, what a waste of money!

Thanks for your time.

dinkbutt

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
Motherboard - Asus Z87I Deluxe
CPU - Intel i5-4700k i think..
RAM - Kingston HyperX Black 16gb x2 (It is a kit, yes)
GPU - GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

I'm unsure what the memory QVL is.

So is it listed on the QVL per link I provided?

Obviously he said hes been using it for years without an issue so Im sure a "compatibility" issue wouldnt just pop up at random.....

I am having an issue with my PC. When I turn it on, it power cycles a few times and that is it. I assumed it was the PSU even though the old one tested OK, as I heard the test can be a false positive. The motherboard looks in good condition, none of the capacitors are bulging or leaking. I have tested the motherboard with only the CPU installed and the same thing occurs.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I almost just dropped a bunch of money on a new build, but, what a waste of money!

Thanks for your time.

Have you reset the cmos to make sure nothing got messed up in the bios?

Also have you tried using 1 stick of ram at a time to rule out a possibly failing chip?

dinkbutt

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I thought I did reset the BIOS, I can't remember for sure, but will try that today. Same with trying one memory card at a time. What is the minimum amount of hardware needed to run these tests? Would it be the CPU, power button/reset button?

dinkbutt

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I held the BIOS flashback button, cleared CMOS, and tried one RAM card at a time. It fires up, but only for a second. Am I doing something wrong? I mean more than likely, the question is, what am I doing wrong? lol

dinkbutt

Honorable
Mar 24, 2014
I've never had an issue with this build until now. I've probably been running these components for almost 8 years now without problems.

It's beyond me what it could be..