[SOLVED] PC Power Disconnection Issues

Nov 13, 2022
Just recently built a new rig and had it working perfectly for a few weeks before now having some issues. For a while the GPU would randomly shut off randomly, sometimes I could play games for hours with no issues and other times it would do it soon after booting up. After replugging the gpu it would boot up and work again but eventually would lose power again. More recently I’m able to now use the PC for a while, then entire system loses power and boots up again without the gpu connected. I’ve tried plugging the gpu into different slots on the motherboard but still have the same result. The entire system shutting down + the gpu working normally besides this leads me to believe it is likely a psu issue but I wanted to see what advice anyone here would have for me to troubleshoot and fix the issue.

Specs are below.

Asus ROG Z790-e gaming
Intel i5 13600K
ZOTAC rtx 3090 Trinity OC
Corsair RM1000x gold
Corsair h100i elite capellix AIO

EDIT: Seems to be solved, the issue was a loose power connection somewhere in the PC. For anyone experiencing a similar issue in the future, I was able to solve the issue by removing the PSU, redoing the connecting of every power cord on both the PSU and component side, and replugging my power strip. Since then the PC has been running normally without any power disconnections.

Last edited:
Solution
Did those critical errors start all of a sudden, or start early and then begin appearing and increase overtime via the timeline?

My thought is a loose connection/component. Intermittent causing a power loss to some component. And the sudden power losses may be causing file corruption.

First,check the power connections from wall outlet to PSU. Any power strips, surge protectors, extension cords? Ensure that the basic power path is not the problem. All connections tight and secure.

Second, do much the same for the computer itself.

New build: No one wants to force a connection or seating on a new build so what may feel to be in place is really not.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris if and as...

Ralston18

Titan
Have you tried reinstalling the GPU drivers just as a matter of elimination? Download directly from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

= = = =

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Either one or both may be capturing some error messages, warnings, or even informational events just before or at the time of the shutoffs.

Reliability History is very user friendly and the time line format may prove quite helpful.

Event viewer requires more time and effort. To help withe Event Viewer:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Also check Update History for any problem or failed updates just prior to the problem starting.

However, even a successful update could be the culprit due to some conflict that was created.

Nov 13, 2022
Yes, I've reinstalled drivers and swapped the GPU to a different PCIe slot on my motherboard but the problem still persists.

Here is the info I'm seeing in the event viewer, any insights into it?

K8mfLuf.png

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID41

Version9

Level1

Task63

Opcode0

Keywords0x8000400000000002

-TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2022-11-13T17:47:45.5482921Z

EventRecordID8001

Correlation

-Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

ChannelSystem

ComputerBarrettPC

-Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18

-EventData

BugcheckCode0

BugcheckParameter10x0

BugcheckParameter20x0

BugcheckParameter30x0

BugcheckParameter40x0

SleepInProgress0

PowerButtonTimestamp0

BootAppStatus0

Checkpoint0

ConnectedStandbyInProgressfalse

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId0

BugcheckInfoFromEFIfalse

CheckpointStatus0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV20

LongPowerButtonPressDetectedfalse

LidReliabilityfalse

InputSuppressionState0

PowerButtonSuppressionState0

LidState3

Ralston18

Titan
Did those critical errors start all of a sudden, or start early and then begin appearing and increase overtime via the timeline?

My thought is a loose connection/component. Intermittent causing a power loss to some component. And the sudden power losses may be causing file corruption.

First,check the power connections from wall outlet to PSU. Any power strips, surge protectors, extension cords? Ensure that the basic power path is not the problem. All connections tight and secure.

Second, do much the same for the computer itself.

New build: No one wants to force a connection or seating on a new build so what may feel to be in place is really not.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Clean out dust and debris if and as necessary.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, jumpers, and case connections are fully and firmly in place. Check modular PSU connections and cables as well.

They all can and do work loose over time due to heat related expansion/contraction and vibrations.

If and as necessary carefully unplug and replug everything a few times. [Excluding the CPU.]

Good chance you may discover that some connection just suddenly fits and feels better. More in place and secure.

Use a bright flashlight to examine connectors, ports for signs of damage, debris, bare conductor showing, loose wires into the connectors.

Look all around the motherboard for signs of damage: cracks, loose screws, missing screws, browned or blackened areas, swollen components, signs of melting, kinked or pinched wires. Is the GPU sagging in some manner?

Take your time, no need to rush, be methodical. Refer to the motherboard's User Guide/Manual as a "checklist" to ensure that nothing is overlooked.

Solution
Nov 13, 2022
It seems like they're inconsistent on the timeline, only when the PC has been shutting off due to losing power which has been inconsistent.

I've gone ahead and reinstalled the PSU and replugged every connection as well as the power strip in the wall, and so far it seems like it's been resulting in the system being stable! It has been working for an entire day when before it likely would have disconnected by now so I believe the issue was a loose connection somewhere on the PSU or other components plugged in. I appreciate all the help!

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS