Pc power off for a few seconds after push the power button then boots normally

G

First of all I want to greet you all it's my first time I post in these forums (which I've been reading lots of years) so I might post in the wrong section my question.

The problem is as it's discribed in the title. I will provide you with some more info. This thing was happening since the day we bought this pc. I didn't build this pc with my hands we just bought it from a shop.

I didn't mind that "problem" until today I wanted to sell this pc to a friend, so I need to know if it's possible to fix that because he might annoy him.

The pc wears an MSI s775 mobo, a CPU cor2duo E-series (it's an old pc)
I am pretty sure it's not a thermal problem as it's running @ 50C the CPU. Also not a PSU problem as it's an 650watt corsair TX series. And now I need you to to enlighten me what might cause this happening :/

The pc also shuts down itself ~2 seconds on a restart, then it boots normally and no problems observed since the day bought it.

Solution

I`v seen few mobos acting strange and after battery replaced problem is solved.
Ofc there is nothing more you can do for the mobo after all :)
And it could be problematic from the day 1.
G

Both

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

Try to use different PSU for test.
If the problem is still there - the mobo is the reason of it
Try to change the Mobo battery - they cause problems on old mobos very often.

G

Has been tested with different PSU, and the "problem" was since the day we bought it (talking for battery) . I changed the PSU btw because we upgraded the graphics card so we needed a bigger PSU.

G

Could it be the battery? It's an old pc and that was happening from day1

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

I`v seen few mobos acting strange and after battery replaced problem is solved.
Ofc there is nothing more you can do for the mobo after all :)
And it could be problematic from the day 1.

Solution
G

Hmm then I will lower the price and tell my friend just to buy a new s775 mobo because lately it started to behave very strange like stucking at windows boot or generally stucking and I checked both RAM and HDD and there weren't any problems so I guess it's just the MSI stupid mobo causing all these.. Thanks for your replies guys.

nofear2161

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011

How about your PC's time? Did you have to change it everytime you start your PC?

I have exactly the same problem.

Last month, I had a lots of BSOD while playing League of Legends. At first, I thought it was the problem with my ATI drivers because it's only BSOD sometime when gaming. Then I downloaded the AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility, just want to clean the shitty driver and then reinstall again. Unfortunately, after that whenever I logn in to the desktop screen, then freeze

Freeze, freeze, freeze. It continue to freeze in the POST menu, freeze in the boot menu, freeze during I reinstall my windows.

I then let my PC take a break and somehow I can reinstall Windows normally. After that, I have the problem just like you. I take a deep research on the internet and then replace my CMOS battery. Nothing change.

I don't know if it's the PSU that causes the problem or else. I let my brother play games on my PC for a few day and nothing happened. No freeze, no bsod, all fans work normally, cpu temp is also normal. I will change the CMOS battery again to check if it solves the problem. I will also try to update bios to see if it helps.

One thing I noticed that my CMOS battery does not stay securely. It shifts whenever I touch it. is that normal? It shifts back and forth. I hope that it's only the CMOS problem because I don't want to buy a new mobo or a new PSU.
I'm saving money for a new PC for GTAV and The Witcher 3. I hope I can save this PC to use it for daily internet stuffs. This PC is more than a friend. we've been together for 3 years through my colleges year.

Also sorry for my English

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

If you have changed the MOBO Battery - and problem is there again - try to fix the battery with the peace of 3M tape
Inspect you mobo - look for ARC Capacitors - they can cause sporadic behavior of the Mobo - freeze , BSOD etc.
PSU problems are hard to find - you can test with different PSU only

syedsubur

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello evryone,
I believe i have the same problem except that this happens only when i do cold boot. I switch off the power button behind the case
and then turn it back on. The computer starts for 2 seconds then stops and then starts smoothly for a second time.
I did not see this problem when i did a warm boot.
Is this normal behaviour for a newly built PC Self assembled ?

G

Had that problem, motherboard was problematic. I would ask for replacement. And not it's not normal :p

TRENDING THREADS