[SOLVED] PC power on but no display

Jul 12, 2022
Hello.
I built a budget pc years ago and it runs okay.

CPU: AMD ryzen 3 2200g
RAM: HyperX 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 x1
Motherboard: Asrock A320-HDV
GPU: Colorful iGame nVidia 1660 6GB
PSU: Cooler Master MWE500 bronze
1x SSD, 2x HDD

I recently bought AMD ryzen 3 3300x and two Apacer 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 to upgrade my pc since I have to run some VM. I swap those and tried to power on. Fans start running. GPU fans start to run significantly louder than usual. And my monitor shows no signal.

I remove the GPU and tested with on board hdmi, still no display. I used old cpu and ram, same result. But GPU fans run normal when I tested with ryzen 3 2200g even though there is no display.

Both CPU have no bend pins. RAMs are inserted correctly. Storage devices and display are good when I tested with my laptop. I don't think it's GPU fault since the error occurrs even without GPU. I haven't and don't know how to test motherboard and PSU.

Any tips on what might be the problem and what can I do before I give up and bring it to service center?

Solution
I bring my pc to local service. The technician gets the answer immediately and solve it within 2hr.

The problem is my motherboard. My Asrock A320M-HDV can support up to 4th Gen AMD CPU. But because of BIOS issue, motherboard can't boot when I change 2nd gen to 3rd gen.

I ask him the solution but he seems like he doesn't want to share it so I don't ask anymore. He told me that he used some tools to fix BIOS. I found "Bios flashback" online but it seems like he used different method.
I'll mark this as best answer for now. If you guys know the method, feel free to reply.

Ralston18

Titan
Were you able to test with known working video cables?

= = = =

How old is that Cooler Master PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

You can do some PSU testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU suspect.

Do you have another PSU that could be swapped in for testing purposes?

Jul 12, 2022
Were you able to test with known working video cables?

= = = =

How old is that Cooler Master PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

You can do some PSU testing if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU suspect.

Do you have another PSU that could be swapped in for testing purposes?
I use the same hdmi cable with my laptop. Both monitor and cables are working fine.

My PSU is more than 3 years old. I play games quite a lot. I don't do video editing or bit-mining. I use my pc mainly for gaming, graphic design(illustrator, not 3D rendering) and photo editing.

I have a friend who knows how to use a multimeter. I'll ask him to check my PSU. I don't have spare PSU right now.

Jul 12, 2022
I bring my pc to local service. The technician gets the answer immediately and solve it within 2hr.

The problem is my motherboard. My Asrock A320M-HDV can support up to 4th Gen AMD CPU. But because of BIOS issue, motherboard can't boot when I change 2nd gen to 3rd gen.

I ask him the solution but he seems like he doesn't want to share it so I don't ask anymore. He told me that he used some tools to fix BIOS. I found "Bios flashback" online but it seems like he used different method.
I'll mark this as best answer for now. If you guys know the method, feel free to reply.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS