PC Power on Delay?

Lordjas1231

Honorable
Jul 13, 2014
So i just noticed this today when i woke up,last time i turned off my PC the normal way no problems,but now when i press the power on button,nothing happens until 1 second delay then it turns on.

Is the PSU starting to die? i only got this 2 years ago.

Right now i can still turn on just fine,it doesn't go any more delayed more than 1 second. But this is just a unusual behaviour from my PC that i'm started to get worried.

PC Spec
GPU: ASUS GTX 970
CPU:I5 4690K
PSU:Seasonic Plantinum 860w
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
RAM 16 GB

First, make sure all cables/wires are connected properly.

Then check that the memory, video card and CPU are seated properly and evenly.

The PSU might be just starting to develop a fault. I had a SeaSonic PSU also which was the cause of delayed starts/boots. The unit was found to be faulty after extensive testing by the manufacturer (representative). If the PSU is just starting to develop a fault, it can be difficult to diagnose without the use of specialized test equipment.

Suggest try another known working PSU. If there are no further delays in booting/starting, then the original PSU is most likely faulty. However, if boot/start delays continue with the other PSU installed, then the motherboard may be faulty.

morpheas768

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
From my experience, in order to be sure, I'd say take out the PSU and install it on a completely different PC, press the button and see if there is that same delay.
Since this hasnt always happened, I understand why you're worried, and your worry might be valid and reasonable or it may not be.

But thats what I would do, test the PSU to make sure that this happens regardless of the rest of the system parts.

Anyway, I am by far not an expert on this, so maybe someone can give a better explanation, a technical explanation as to why this happens.
Maybe it has something to do with the PSU's capacitors or something.
Wait for a better response.

Lordjas1231

Honorable
Jul 13, 2014
I don't know what happened,but my problem fixed itself,my PC now turns on instantly,i don't think i did anything to the PSU other than just brushing off a tiny bit of dust around the sides. Thanks everyone for your help.