[SOLVED] Pc power problem

EmptyPillow

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Since a few weeks I've had problems with my power (button) on my pc, when I put it to sleep it would sometimes not be able to get out of sleep. Yesterday everything was fine, shut off my pc, took a shower and when I came back my pc didnt even post when I pressed the power button.

After randomly holding down the power button for 10 or 30 seconds it would sometimes be able to boot again but if I shut it down I would have the same issue.

What I have done so far is plug my power switch out/in from the jfp1, plug the 24 pin connector out/in, made sure all cables are correctly in my psu and reset my bios to default. None of this seemed to have helped. So I gave up and went to sleep. This morning when I woke up everything seemed normal again. I could boot it up, shut it down and boot it up again without problems. Then I went to the store and when I came back the same happened. Couldn't post or anything anymore.

My system:
i7 9700k
msi z390a
corsair 16gb ram
gigabyte geforce gtx 1660 ti
cooler master mwe gold 550 (full modular)

Solution
Alright all my parts are only 6 months old but I guess it's possible. Any way to troubleshoot further?
I'd swap the PSU because it's easy and I have a spare.
Although at least you can get it to boot by holding the power button.
If you can live with holding the power button.....it might just stay that way and you don't need to do anything...but it would probably bug me so I'd swap the PSU (first).
I dont quite get what you mean, could you explain?
Most likely there are two wires running to two terminals on the switch.
The switch normally connects these two wires when you push it.
If it's broke....it won't connect them.
So.....if you connect them.....with a wire or anything metal....and it posts....then it's a bad switch.
If it doesn't post....it's something else.

EmptyPillow

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
So I cant find anything metal to use to make contact between the 2 pins, but I plugged in my reset button to use as power button but same issue. I also found out I can consistenly boot if I hold down my power button for 10 seconds first. What does my pc do when I hold the power down for 10s?

" but I plugged in my reset button to use as power button but same issue. "
Yes....you can do this....and if it's the same issue....it's not the power button.

" What does my pc do when I hold the power down for 10s? "
It drains the residual charge from the power supply and the motherboard.
You may have a PSU or motherboard issue.

Alright all my parts are only 6 months old but I guess it's possible. Any way to troubleshoot further?
I'd swap the PSU because it's easy and I have a spare.
Although at least you can get it to boot by holding the power button.
If you can live with holding the power button.....it might just stay that way and you don't need to do anything...but it would probably bug me so I'd swap the PSU (first).

Solution