PC power surges not caused by PSU

TechNoles

Commendable
Feb 5, 2017
I am having issues with a PC that is giving power surge warnings during start up. I have tried three different PSU's, 2 of them new, ranging from 600 to 680 watts. Upon turning on, it will power up for a second, lose power for a second or two, then power back on and give a surge warning during boot sequence. The only thing I can think of is the motherboard is faulty and causing surges. Since the mobo is an Asus, another possibility is that the built in surge protection is giving a false positive, forcing the psu to power down. After turning off the surge protection, there are no issues during start up and the computer will go into Windows. Should I be concerned that the mobo may be going bad or that turning off the protection may risk frying the components.

Lutfij

Titan
If you've assembled the system, make sure that any and/or all connections from the PSU to necessary components are proper and snug. A loose connection to any of the components can give you a surge protection warning. You may also want to see if the system powers up without the surge protector being in between the wall socket and your PSU(well that's how it reads out in the 2nd last sentence or are you talking about the BIOS setting?) I would also ask you to breadboard the system and see if the system boots up without an issue while surge protection is enabled in BIOS. If the system fires up, you may be suffering from a grounding issue with the case.

Speaking of case, we are yet in the unknown about your components, can you please list your full system's specs as:
CPU+CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis: