PC power turns on, will not boot.

Feb 15, 2018
Z370E motherboard
1080 Ti GPU
i7 8700k CPU

Yesterday I was able to boot everything up, installed windows, installed all of the drivers I needed. Played some games and decided to update windows and restart. Did that, restarted and it worked fine. So I turned the PC off and went to bed.

Decided to turn the thing on this morning to see if it boots fine. Turns out it doesn't. The monitor says "No Signal", the motherboard has an orange LED indicating that it has power, all fans are spinning and everything seems to be getting power. The LED that is supposed to turn Green when the PC boots doesnt turn on at all. No VGA or CPU error from that LED either.

I had a issue yesterday where I constantly got BSOD but that was a RAM issue which I fixed in the BIOS and later the PC ran fine all day. And whenever I installed a driver I restarted and it booted fine every time.

I have no clue what could have happened over night.

Solution

friedlander.m.s

Honorable
Feb 16, 2018

After it boots and won't run: push the "restart" button and see if it boots up and runs..
Replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard, and re-set the time and date.

When you install OS, sometimes updates can corrupt the registry and disable video drivers, or other drivers.
This can be a hardware conflict or driver conflict with a particular update.
So for one thing - I would turn off all updates until I identify which one (or if one) is causing a conflict.

This has happened to me several times...just as you have described.
An incompatible update stopped my video driver from working, etc...

Disable firewall and security, un-plug nework. (un plug network to prevent any updates from taking place)
Put the windows disk in the drive and select: "upgrade" which reloads the OS, some drivers, and configures the hardware.
This does not erase programs or files....but it does return a system to functional.
Make sure the updates are off.
After loading, turn firewall and security back on.

Now run the system and see that it is stable...but don't load any updates yet.

What I had to do: Load critical updates manually without the automatic updates....avoiding an update which might cause a problem.
Also check the manufacturer website for any known issues with certain updates.

Solution