[SOLVED] PC Powering Down and Rebooting when under load

May 26, 2020
When trying to run Civ VI or Cities Skylines, my computer has will power down without warning and reboot. From the research I've looked at so far online, this is probably an issue with the power supply.

Specs are:

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: Zotac NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x8GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD
PSU: Corsair CX850M

Here's also a CSV from when it powered down during an AI Benchmark test in Civ VI

https://csv-viewer.dev0.sh/uploads/0fef01f653839cdd/Gathering Storm AI Benchmark Test

Solution
Eh, it's five years old. Pretty sure the warranty was only three years, even on those newer CX models. Could go either way really. Might be the PSU but it could just as easily be the motherboard or graphics card. Given the age of the power supply and the high probability of failure soon if it's not already faulty, I think you'd be pretty safe with going after that first. Even if it's not currently failing, it's pretty likely that at five years old it soon will be, so it's a good idea anyhow.

If you are not getting any other errors or warning signs, just shut down and restart, then it's a good chance that it is the power supply but don't be entirely surprised if you find that you replace it and still have to go after another piece of...
Eh, it's five years old. Pretty sure the warranty was only three years, even on those newer CX models. Could go either way really. Might be the PSU but it could just as easily be the motherboard or graphics card. Given the age of the power supply and the high probability of failure soon if it's not already faulty, I think you'd be pretty safe with going after that first. Even if it's not currently failing, it's pretty likely that at five years old it soon will be, so it's a good idea anyhow.

If you are not getting any other errors or warning signs, just shut down and restart, then it's a good chance that it is the power supply but don't be entirely surprised if you find that you replace it and still have to go after another piece of hardware.

You can do some preliminary checks, but without high end equipment it's nearly impossible to fully test one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Solution