[SOLVED] PC powering down BSODs

tsdobbi

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
New build (about 3 weeks ago)
i79700k
32gb DDR4 T-Force ( I cheaped out on the ram, I know. However from what I looked into it isnt bad ram).
Thermaltake ToughPower 1000W 80+ gold
Asas ROG Strix z390-e
(still using my old GTX 980 Ti)
running the base XMP profile.

So it was perfectly fine for about a week. Then I had one instance where my PC was off in the morning. Confirmed in event viewer it shut down some time over night.

So I was having issues with this stupid corsair headset (crackling and popping). this happens on any machine its hooked up to and was messing about with the audio drivers. Went to game on discord with some friends , PC powers off. Get back in moment I load discord, powers off again. Assume maybe its an issue from me messing around with the audio drivers. uninstalled them, rebooted the system, installed the drivers from asus website, and i rebooted again, updated the MB bios as well.

I've been building my own PC's since the early 2000's. I wouldn't consider myself an "expert" trouble shooter when it comes to issues, but through out this time I've been pretty good about rooting out the culprit when having issues. (90% of the time in almost 20 years of building my own PCs a failing PSU was the problem) But that is usually a pretty repeatable scenario, once the GPU starts drawing a lot of power the poor old boy will poop out and shut down the pc.

ran memtest, OCCT, 3dmark, heaven engine no problems (it is most definitely not due to any components overheating) I popped open the case and put my hand on my PSU while it was running benches and it didn't even get warm let alone hot). HWMonitor was showing everything looking good. Finally at like 8pm yesterday night gamed for two hours while on discord, no issues whatsoever. I thought I had it solved.

Now this morning just surfing the internet.....BSOD (Im currently running memtest again (so I cant grab the error report) but it was an error that points to either a driver or memory issue bug something or other). My last build I had for 7 years I dont think I ever had a BSOD (I probably did but am suffering a confirmation bias). I know a BSOD isn't the same as the hard power off I experienced earlier, but still, general system instability. Furthermore linked to no specific activity.

I know windows has a driver verifier tool that may be able to root out problem drivers. I may run that or say screw it and reformat and reinstall windows to try to rule out software. The general system instability would really seem to indicate potential memory issues, but if memtest isnt reporting any issues I really dont want to replace my ram for no reason.

I mean I may be speaking too soon that there even is an issue, the power offs could absolutely have been due to my audio drivers and the BSOD today could have just been a random one off. I mean the system was largely 100% stable until yesterday (save for that one overnight power off which I wasn't there to experience so it could have been anything).

One thing I am going to tray is take my SSD out of the hot swap bay. Saw a bunch of threads that a bad SSD can cause the same behavior (in one instance the hot swap bay for someone was bad, and the problems went away when they hooked it up directly to the mobo.

Last edited:
Solution
I'll update this, so it's been a week of normal use surfing the web, gaming etc. No random power offs or BSOD's I'm thinking my tinkering of the audio drivers was the root cause and the clean install of the audio drivers fixed it.

tsdobbi

Reputable
Oct 29, 2016
I'll update this, so it's been a week of normal use surfing the web, gaming etc. No random power offs or BSOD's I'm thinking my tinkering of the audio drivers was the root cause and the clean install of the audio drivers fixed it.

Solution