[SOLVED] Pc powering on without pressing case switch

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Hi all

I know this is a stab in the dark and
Im asking you to basically predict the lottery but would really appreciate any input so here it goes.

just finished transferring my pc from one case to another (Streacom da2) all hooked up and when I plug the power wire into the pc and flick the wall switch it powers on without me needing to press the case switch. Thought no problems opened it up and switched the front panel connections around and double checked in correct place however still powering on incorrectly. Pulled the I/O headers out completely and it doesn’t boot at all then which is good news and points me towards the case switch ? however when it did boot without pressing the switch it didn’t seem to post beep or display anything on the screen. Double checked everything and it’s all in correctly

just transferred it all back to my old case and it works perfectly.

thinking case switch ?

many thanks for any help

Solution
Might just be a faulty case switch. You double checked your connections, and it all works fine back in the old case. Most PC repairs are a process of elimination. The only other thing might be a faulty ground causing a full circuit between the mobo and the case. That could be happening right at the switch.......

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
Might just be a faulty case switch. You double checked your connections, and it all works fine back in the old case. Most PC repairs are a process of elimination. The only other thing might be a faulty ground causing a full circuit between the mobo and the case. That could be happening right at the switch.......

Solution

computerwonder

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Think it’s the switch like you said tried everything else. Sums up this year to be honest haha expensive pc taken out by 1p switch 😂

I suspect that the front power switch or leads are shorted.
If you remove the lead from the motherboard front panel connector, you can try powering on by momentarily shorting the two PWR pins on the motherboard front panel header.

Contact streacon customer support.
They should send you a replacement power switch and lead.

Hi all

I know this is a stab in the dark and
Im asking you to basically predict the lottery but would really appreciate any input so here it goes.

just finished transferring my pc from one case to another (Streacom da2) all hooked up and when I plug the power wire into the pc and flick the wall switch it powers on without me needing to press the case switch. Thought no problems opened it up and switched the front panel connections around and double checked in correct place however still powering on incorrectly. Pulled the I/O headers out completely and it doesn’t boot at all then which is good news and points me towards the case switch ? however when it did boot without pressing the switch it didn’t seem to post beep or display anything on the screen. Double checked everything and it’s all in correctly

just transferred it all back to my old case and it works perfectly.

thinking case switch ?

many thanks for any help
It may be the switch itself....but it also could be the switch shorting to the frame it is mounted in....which is probably mounted to the case....which is ground.

I would remove the switch from whatever bezel it is mounted in....and try it with just the switch isolated from everything. Then you will know if it's the switch itself.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
i had this happen once . it was on a fancy motherboard that had power/reset buttons on the back of the motherboard. the power button was stuck.

like you i searched for like a day before to understand the issue ! i tested it outside the case and was thinking about a RMA lol

TRENDING THREADS