Question PC powers down/locks up when printing (sometimes)

improfound

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I have a strange issue, and I'm not sure where to post it. Mods let me know if it should go elsewhere.

Often, when I print, my computer "blacks out." That is, everything goes dark, as if the computer is sleeping. It's not, though. If Spotify was running before the crash, I'll still hear it playing. So something is going on. But there's nothing to do but restart the computer. Sometimes, but not always, it blacks out immediately when I hit print. Sometimes 10 seconds after I hit print, but while the printer is printing. It's super annoying.

Printer is a Brother HL L2395DW. Printer is on the same powerstrip as the PC. I connect to it through WIFI.

CPU: 9600k
Motherboard: ROG Maximus XI
Ram: 16 GB Adata Gammix 3000
SSD/HDD: Adata XPG SX8200 NVMe PCIe M.2 480GB
GPU: Vega 56
PSU: EVGA 850GQ
Chassis:

If I remember correctly, the issue started happening after I swapped in my Vega for my old 7950. But I don't see why this would make a difference. I've updated drivers for both the Vega and the Brother, and nothing helps.

Any ideas? Thanks!

improfound

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I've thought about this, but it will take moving the printer to another room, which will take some rearranging. I only have one outlet in my office (it's an old house). Is it plausible to think this will solve the problem? I know nothing about electrical stuff.

TRENDING THREADS