[SOLVED] PC powers down when gaming

wingman99

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Hey! helped a friend build a computer a little over a month ago, when we got it put together it ran fine until we opened a game (Battlefront 2) and almost instantly the whole computer powers off. New RAM didn't solve the problem so we ordered a different power supply. that seemed to fix to issue, he has been playing games fine for the past month, Until playing ark last night it started doing it again every time he plays. His Mobo is the MSI b450 gaming plus max and he has a ryzen 2600, could rolling back the BIOS possibly fix the issue or do you think it is a faulty motherboard?

Also his monitor will randomly not get signal and he has to power down, unplug everything and hold the power button for 30 seconds and then power back on.
I haven't been able to figure out if it is even posting or not as he lives an hour away. Didn't know if that could be possibly related or not.

His specs are

-Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3000MHz
-Ryzen 2600
-MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
-WD 500gb ssd
-RX 5700 XT Thicc Ultra 8gb
-Thermaltake Smart 700W 80+ White

Thanks!

Solution
1)Thermaltake makes dodgy budget power supplies...

2)That's the Thicc 3 Ultra, right? Did XFX fix the thermal issues that it's predecessor suffered from?
I haven't seen any legit reviews of the Thicc 3, so that's why I'm asking.

3)In Radeon Settings, if the power limit is dropped to, say 50%, does the PC still shut off?

4)This was a build from scratch, and not an upgrade?
I would consider it an upgrade if the C drive was carried over from a previous build - in which case, a reinstall of the OS is a must...

5)Display Driver Uninstaller was used to remove the older driver first before installing the new one?

6)What is the chassis?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Thermaltake makes dodgy budget power supplies...

2)That's the Thicc 3 Ultra, right? Did XFX fix the thermal issues that it's predecessor suffered from?
I haven't seen any legit reviews of the Thicc 3, so that's why I'm asking.

3)In Radeon Settings, if the power limit is dropped to, say 50%, does the PC still shut off?

4)This was a build from scratch, and not an upgrade?
I would consider it an upgrade if the C drive was carried over from a previous build - in which case, a reinstall of the OS is a must...

5)Display Driver Uninstaller was used to remove the older driver first before installing the new one?

6)What is the chassis?

Solution

wingman99

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
Sorry should have listed some of that stuff in original post.

Its the Thicc 2 Ultra. just found out he thinks it will let him play if he turn his graphics down. I told him to play ark for a bit on medium and than if he doesn't have any issues to put them on epic and see how it goes.

I will try lowering the power limit and get back with you.

it was a brand new build from scratch, he sold a gaming laptop and was trying to build this on a tight budget.
has a fresh install of windows 10.

the computer was built march 3rd maybe, I will check and see if there is any new drivers, if not I will reinstall anyways just to be safe.

the chassis is the Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 RGB.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Coolermaster masterbox lite 5 RGB.
Yikes. That case looks like a hot box...
That, plus Thicc 2 Ultra... it might be overheating. Check the temps via Radeon Settings.

Its the Thicc 2 Ultra. just found out he thinks it will let him play if he turn his graphics down. I told him to play ark for a bit on medium and than if he doesn't have any issues to put them on epic and see how it goes.

I will try lowering the power limit and get back with you.
Thanks.
The purpose of lowering the graphics and dropping the power limits is to reduce the gpu load, so it runs cooler, and also so the power supply doesn't get pushed as hard.