[SOLVED] PC powers off suddenly then restarts

Mar 9, 2021
Hello everyone,

My PC Specs are:

Mobo- Z170-HD3-CF
CPU - i7 6700K Not overclocked
GPU - MSI 1070 Gaming X
PSU - Corsair VS 650

My PC just powers off randomly and turns back on. It doesn't matter what I am doing, sometimes I can play for 10hrs without issues and sometimes it just powers off while listening to music. I have checked all the connections, cleaned the interior and checked event viewer found only critical loss of power error there. What could be the problem ?

Solution
Do you or a friend own a multimeter, tester and know how to work one. Run the pc an keep tester on the 12v rail. Monitor voltage and check if it drops below 11v
Mar 9, 2021
Hi, check event viewer for errors. What ram do you have? How old is your system, psu, cpu, ram? Storage drives?
Hey thanks for replying. The event viewer only shows the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting shutting down.
I am using Corsair Vengeance 8GB x 2 2400MHZ. My system is almost 5 year old.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
It sounds like it might be a voltage drop from your psu. Do you have a diffrent psu that you can use on your pc. Let it run for a day or two. If it still random reboot, then we know its not the psu. Then we move on to ram. Use only one ram module and use memtest to test for errors on ram.

Mar 9, 2021
It sounds like it might be a voltage drop from your psu. Do you have a diffrent psu that you can use on your pc. Let it run for a day or two. If it still random reboot, then we know its not the psu. Then we move on to ram. Use only one ram module and use memtest to test for errors on ram.
I don't have a different PSU. I did run the memtest on both modules separately both were ok.