bluebudgie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
Ever since about 2 weeks I'm experiencing a problem with my pc where it switches off and restarts randomly while playing heavy games such as apex legends/pubg/rainbow six and this used to happen once everyday after about 15~30mins of first gaming session but now after about a month it has become very consistent upto a point where I can't even launch a game. Temperatures of all components are normal while bechmarking arkham knight or other games. Restart doesn't happen when playing low end games like pubg emulator. I have been told my psu is faulty but can't confirm because I don't have a spare. Is there any way to check if your psu is faulty or not? Please help😕

PC specs: (2 Years Old)
CPU- i5 7500@3.40Ghz
Mobo- Asus Z270-A
GPU- GTX 1050ti OC G1 gigabyte
RAM- 8gb 2666mhz Corsair Vengence ddr4
PSU- Thermaltake 730w bronze 87% Certified
OS- Windows 10 Pro

Last edited:
Solution
Okay obviously you had more than enough PSU but that isn't a great one. If I had to guess it is failing but unless you have another psu laying around to confirm this is going to turn into a guessing game. You could remove your 1050ti and play with onboard video to see it stops. This still won't confirm anything but would probably narrow it down to GPU and PSU if it doesn't shut off that way.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Okay obviously you had more than enough PSU but that isn't a great one. If I had to guess it is failing but unless you have another psu laying around to confirm this is going to turn into a guessing game. You could remove your 1050ti and play with onboard video to see it stops. This still won't confirm anything but would probably narrow it down to GPU and PSU if it doesn't shut off that way.

Solution
I had a similar problem with restarts that I discovered was related to my power limit on my GPU being set too low in Afterburner, combined with the use of DX12 in a game that has know DX12 CTD problems (The Division). I set the power limit to maximum and disabled DX12 in the game settings and all is well again. In my case, it was a power problem of sorts, but one I caused due to the wrong settings.

Is anything overclocked? This can also cause restarts, although the fact that the restarts are becoming more frequent suggests hardware degradation.

Last edited:

bluebudgie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I had a similar problem that I discovered was related to my power limit on my GPU being set too low in Afterburner, combined with the use of DX12 in a game that has know DX12 CTD problems (The Division). I set the power limit to maximum and disabled DX12 in the game settings and all is well again. In my case, it was a power problem of sorts, but one I caused due to the wrong settings.

Is anything overclocked? This can also cause restarts, although the fact that the restarts are becoming more frequent suggests hardware degradation.
Nothing has ever been overclocked neither have I ever tweaked anything before in MSI Afterburner. If I do make any changes in Afterburner like increase voltage limit would it affect my gpu negetively? since afterall it should be on default.

bluebudgie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
The gpu is very recently bought and would be showing temperature changes if it was faulty. Don't have an extra psu either.

It's going to be very tough to pinpoint the problem if you can't swap parts to try and isolate the source, but as others have said it is usually power related based on the symptoms you have mentioned. Check the Event Viewer in Windows to see if there are any clues there. Most likely you will see Kernel Power Error 41, which is improper restart, but look for anything else that happens before that. The problem with restarts is the Event Viewer doesn't have time to log what actually happened at that moment to cause the restart, so the best you can do is look for clues leading up to it. How about your voltage readings? Are they within spec, even under load?