brombeer

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi,

I started building my frist own pc, but I ran into a problem already, the PC won't stay powered on and I don't really know what I'm doing (wrong).

Currently, the only hardware that is connected is the following:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LE, on the supporting studs in the case
CPU: Intel Core i5 3550, in the CPU socket, correctly aligned with the heat sink steady on top
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4 GB (1 module), in the DIMM_A2 socket; I took the second module out for now.
PSU: Corsair 500W CX V2

I took the HDD and optical drive out for now and never bothered to install the graphics card yet. I have no monitor, mouse or keyboard hooked up.

When I connect the power lead a LED light on the motherboard goes on. This is due to the 24 pin connector between PSU and motherboard. Then when I press the ON button on the front panel, the computer switches on shortly. The front panel and CPU fans start spinning, and the front panel light goes on. However, within 1 second everything stops and powers off again.

Ideas, because I'm afraid I did something very wrong :s

brombeer

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Not sure, I plugged the connector from the CPU fan in the board. I thought the CPU just gets powered through the board (just like the DIMMs for example), am I missing anything there?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Yes. There will be the 24 pin power connector, then an additional 8 pin connector near the CPU. Look at your board, see the long blue heatsink next to the CPU socket? Look above it, toward the edge of the board. It's right there.

brombeer

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You aced it. Plugging in this connector solved the issue and ended my nightmare!

I managed to hook up the graphics card now and there are only a few minor issues to iron out at this point. Thank you very much phyco126!