Question PC Powers on - Blank Screen - Please Help

May 7, 2020
Hello everyone! I’m really hoping somebody can help me with my issue please..

In 2014 I had a PC built at a computer shop which has now gone into administration (I am not surprised at all)

My PC spec is as follows:
  • Intel i7 4770 3.4 Ghz LGA 1150 Processor
  • Samsung dvd writer
  • 1 TB Seagate Barracuda Green 7200rpm HD
  • 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • Asus H87M – Plus LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb Ram x 2
  • Cool Master B Series 600W PSU
This is a link of my motherboard which I have been doing some research on.

Firstly I just want to apologise if I do not sound as knowledgeable as many of you seem to be but I really am hoping for some help.

From new, I have probably used my PC about 10 times and those times have been just basic things like word documents etc, nothing to cause any strain to the computer.
It always ran super smooth and the last time I used it I shut it down normal.

Anyway, I unplugged the HDMI and power cables out of my unit, and I put it away in my cupboard for around 7 months. Yesterday I took it back out and connected it up like normal, pressed the power button on the computer and the LED light lit up and the fans started going, but nothing on my TV screen at all??

I am so baffled with this and I cannot understand what has happened, yes I didn’t use it for months, but surely it should have just picked up from where I left off last time??

I tried 5 different HDMI cables, on 3 different TVs all via hdmi, I then tried on one of the TVs with a VGA cable and still the screen stays blank but the fans come on and the LED lights up.

On the back of the casing there were some stickers saying if removed it will void the warranty, but as its from 2014 its not like it would be in warranty anyway and the shop I bought it from is in administration anyway. So I removed the casing and inspected the motherboard etc.

There was a small amount of dust inside, which I carefully cleaned up. Everything internally seemed normal and plugged in correctly, I tried certain things like taking the 2 sticks of RAM out, putting 1 in, unplugging and reconnecting the cables to the motherboard etc, and still nothing happens??

There is a green LED on the motherboard which lights up when I turn the power on, and also that other red LED lights up for a second or 2 when turning the computer on – some RAM light?

Anyway, I removed both sticks of RAM and turned it on and it output the beeping sound to show no RAM is detected and that red light kept flashing then, as there is a small speaker inside connected to the motherboard.

What can I do about this now? I am going to connect to the HDD and SSD and get the data off them connecting to a laptop but I just am not sure if the onboard graphics which is on the motherboard is faulty or what else it could be… I don’t want to spend stupid amounts of money trying to replace various components if they don’t still fix it, but then the shops are all closed too…

Please help lol sorry for the longgg essay!!!

Bassplate

Upstanding
Apr 4, 2020
Hello everyone! I’m really hoping somebody can help me with my issue please..

In 2014 I had a PC built at a computer shop which has now gone into administration (I am not surprised at all)

My PC spec is as follows:
  • Intel i7 4770 3.4 Ghz LGA 1150 Processor
  • Samsung dvd writer
  • 1 TB Seagate Barracuda Green 7200rpm HD
  • 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD
  • Asus H87M – Plus LGA1150 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb Ram x 2
  • Cool Master B Series 600W PSU
This is a link of my motherboard which I have been doing some research on.

Firstly I just want to apologise if I do not sound as knowledgeable as many of you seem to be but I really am hoping for some help.

From new, I have probably used my PC about 10 times and those times have been just basic things like word documents etc, nothing to cause any strain to the computer.
It always ran super smooth and the last time I used it I shut it down normal.

Anyway, I unplugged the HDMI and power cables out of my unit, and I put it away in my cupboard for around 7 months. Yesterday I took it back out and connected it up like normal, pressed the power button on the computer and the LED light lit up and the fans started going, but nothing on my TV screen at all??

I am so baffled with this and I cannot understand what has happened, yes I didn’t use it for months, but surely it should have just picked up from where I left off last time??

I tried 5 different HDMI cables, on 3 different TVs all via hdmi, I then tried on one of the TVs with a VGA cable and still the screen stays blank but the fans come on and the LED lights up.

On the back of the casing there were some stickers saying if removed it will void the warranty, but as its from 2014 its not like it would be in warranty anyway and the shop I bought it from is in administration anyway. So I removed the casing and inspected the motherboard etc.

There was a small amount of dust inside, which I carefully cleaned up. Everything internally seemed normal and plugged in correctly, I tried certain things like taking the 2 sticks of RAM out, putting 1 in, unplugging and reconnecting the cables to the motherboard etc, and still nothing happens??

There is a green LED on the motherboard which lights up when I turn the power on, and also that other red LED lights up for a second or 2 when turning the computer on – some RAM light?

Anyway, I removed both sticks of RAM and turned it on and it output the beeping sound to show no RAM is detected and that red light kept flashing then, as there is a small speaker inside connected to the motherboard.

What can I do about this now? I am going to connect to the HDD and SSD and get the data off them connecting to a laptop but I just am not sure if the onboard graphics which is on the motherboard is faulty or what else it could be… I don’t want to spend stupid amounts of money trying to replace various components if they don’t still fix it, but then the shops are all closed too…

Please help lol sorry for the longgg essay!!!
Hi there :benetton:
There are some other options what you can try just to see if this solves your problem.
First of all we know that your motherboard is working fine(Because of the RAM troubleshoot For the BUZZ Beeping)
Try to Reset your Bios...Bios can sometimes stuck after a long period of time when you haven't used it lately.The CMOS battery has maybe ranned out of its 3V power or it doesn't POST at all.
Simply Unplug your PC from the power cord then open your Computer...Look for a small 3V battery(Located above your PCI slot on the motherboard)And remove the battery for 3 minutes.Then after 3 minutes place the battery back in and try to boot up your computer now.
Another way to reset Bios is throe Using the Jumper method...Locate the CMOS jumpers and put a jumper in the 2pins and leave it there and try to boot up NOTE(Your Computer is not suppose to boot up when the jumper is connected)If it doesn't boot up you know the reset is working.

So Option 2
Disconnect your graphics card then try booting your PC with the integrated graphics(Onboard)
Option 3
Use only one RAM stick Per time and Per slot when you try to boot up as it could be an faulty RAM stick as well.

May 7, 2020
Hello! Many thanks for your kind reply, its appreciated. Oh I forgot to add, my cousin who knows abit about computers advised exactly that!! I took that small battery out and left it out for a while and put it back but still nothing happened. Im thinking the motherboard is working, but the HDMI port etc is connected to that, maybe something with the graphics is faulty?? I dont have an external graphics card you see.. I will try some of the other things you said thanks :)

Bassplate

Upstanding
Apr 4, 2020
Hello! Many thanks for your kind reply, its appreciated. Oh I forgot to add, my cousin who knows abit about computers advised exactly that!! I took that small battery out and left it out for a while and put it back but still nothing happened. Im thinking the motherboard is working, but the HDMI port etc is connected to that, maybe something with the graphics is faulty?? I dont have an external graphics card you see.. I will try some of the other things you said thanks :)
No Problem bro :benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton::benetton:
What kind of monitor do you have(Screen model)
Yeah maybe also use a other screen cable(Like DVI or VGA and NOT HDMi)
If it could be the HDMI Port that's Faulty.
Does your Screen power LED come on and does it pick up the connection between the output to the input? IF it shows no signal on your screen but your screen is connected it may be an faulty port or on the cable.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS