pc powers on but no beeps and doesn't boot.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojito_gre

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
its a month's old topic bu ti need help with sth very simmiral,
well...i had in my house one pc with: 500WPSU,msi m/b,athlon 64 2600+,7800gs
and one with 500W psu,msi k8n neo platinum,athlon 64 3200+,7600gt.

they both had this prob: suddenly (after three years of working just fine)they power on,everything seems to work(funs spin,cpu fan as well and the gpu,) but i have no beep sound from the m/b tha monitor shows nothing and the pc doesn't work ofcourse.

i replaced both psu,still the same. i replaces the k8n with a gigabyte m/b, the pc worked for 5 min ,then i shuted down and as iwas plugging in the soundcard it powered on by itself.after i rebooted it i had the same problem,still everything powers on but no beep and the pc doesn't work.

so we have 3 out of 3 m/bs burned/broken/crushed, sth

i moved in this house 3 months ago,the house is from the 60's. is there any chance that the building's power supply is cousing these problems?

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Well there is a slight chance of that! As my friend had an issue with his rec-room power, pc would shut down if he turned his de-humidifier on!
You could try relocating the system to another circuit in the house.
But I would probably try a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) first.
These devices are usually isolated from the house other than ground and will filter the ac quite well. Plus you get the benefit of having back-up power in the event of a poweroutage!
If your system is beefy then 1000 watts+ would be a good idea.
Otherwise get something around 800 watts.

Hope this helps!

SXTC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
I have an ANTEC 1000w powersupply and I too experience this problem...
(It's quite new too, only been using it for 4 months)

I have an ASUS M3A32-MVP DELUXE mainboard.
I removed all my fans to install watercooling, no leaks.. and yet when I start up my pc it either turns itself off after a few seconds or it just stays like that without a boot (no beep or text on my screen, all I get is the text that remains on my screen

My pc always worked great before I unplugged all and plugged it in again.. I tried looking if my processor is seated well or if a block isn't mounted properly, also made sure that everything was seated... even the cables.. I have 2 HD3870X2 cards and on both I get 3 red leds, If I plug in the powercables on the cards 2 red leds remain but somethings it changes to 1 red led without me having to touch a thing...
So obviously for some reason my parts are getting the wrong voltage.. I will use the pin reset technique and I'll get back to you soon after to let you know wether it worked or not !

SXTC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
No it didn't work, ontop of that my system doesn't seem to respond to the boot button anymore eventhough the green led stays burning on the mainboard.. what I noticed though was that after I let tthe battery out 8 hours, only the D25 led was burning on both my HD3870X2 cards but the leds were flickering fast.. also the green led on the mainboard lit up after I turned on the PSU and a sec after it lit up even brighter... as if the mainboard wasn't getting the full power from the start...

I guess my mainboard killed itself for some reason... I'm just scared seeing as I do not know the reason why this is happening and it might happen again if I replace the wrong parts... its too expensive to make mistakes but eventhough I notice a lot of people with this problem, no one realy seems to know the answer...

G

I have the same problem. I bought a new motherboard, new CPU, and it seemed to work great. Now, 3 days later, the same problem happens. My guess, it's the video card. I tried a different card, and it worked.

I'm running Fedora Core with an ATI Radeon x1300, which getting the drivers working was a pain....I really don't want to do that again with a new card...but I guess I have no choice.

Cheers!!

G

>>> After so many trial , just try this recipe and working . I do not believe it ! Thanks. NGR

genja06

Distinguished
May 25, 2011

igot the same problem, i follow these trouble shoots posted here., but the only thing that work for me is takin in and out the ram to the other slot, and whaLaaAH! it is fixed!
^^

fernandoSOS

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Removing the battery for a hole night worked for me, at least to recover the BIOS access (then other problems started. Will never get an ASUS MoBo again)

Status
Not open for further replies.