[SOLVED] PC powers on but no display.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
I just recently put this pc together, haven't seen it boot up, can't even get to BIOS. Powers on completely, but no display. System unit powers on (all the fans and rgb stuff light up). Monitor's power led just blinking, no lights from keyboard or mouse. The blue light from the pc case just lights up straight, but the red one is blinking, but sometimes nothing. Any thoughts?

Stuff I tried:
  • Reseating the CPU
  • Reseating Ram
  • Trying out different Ram
  • Reconnecting power supply cables
No joy.

All stuff is brand new except for motherboard and CPU, they're refurbished.

System:
i5-4460
MSI H81-m P33
8GB Hyper X DDR3
ETOP SSD 256gb
CV550 Corsair
No GPU

Last edited:
Solution
For that processor to work, you would need to have BIOS version 7817v14 installed. Since you're unable to even see the POST screen, you have no way of knowing what BIOS version is installed. You would need to install a natively supported processor to see if the system boots. Something like an Intel G3420 processor. If the system boots with that processor, then you can verify what BIOS version is running and whether or not it needs to be updated.

If it's running 7817v14 (or later) then there is an issue with one of your components (likely the processor). If it's running an earlier version, update the BIOS while the natively supported processor is installed and then try booting up with the I5-4460 installed.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
For that processor to work, you would need to have BIOS version 7817v14 installed. Since you're unable to even see the POST screen, you have no way of knowing what BIOS version is installed. You would need to install a natively supported processor to see if the system boots. Something like an Intel G3420 processor. If the system boots with that processor, then you can verify what BIOS version is running and whether or not it needs to be updated.

If it's running 7817v14 (or later) then there is an issue with one of your components (likely the processor). If it's running an earlier version, update the BIOS while the natively supported processor is installed and then try booting up with the I5-4460 installed.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Ahazuerus
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
My bet is on the BIOS update though. If this motherboard/CPU weren't sold together as a working bundle, I'd wager there's almost no chance this motherboard has an updated BIOS, as few people do that. Haswell Refresh CPUs just won't work on an H81 motherboard that hasn't been updated, so it's not recommended that people buy an H81 motherboard and one of those CPUs used without knowing for sure ahead of time.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
If there's a local PC shop around, I'd probably take the motherboard there and see if they'd check it for you. May not cost as much as a separate processor (or maybe it would. not sure).

-Wolf sends
I found a G3420 for $6 and I'll be testing it out once it comes. Service fee for the mobo comes at a similar price. Another mobo is around $25. at least If I have another processor maybe I can use it for another build or just a spare, anyways I'll let you guys know after testing it. Thanks again!

Reactions: Wolfshadw

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
If there's a local PC shop around, I'd probably take the motherboard there and see if they'd check it for you. May not cost as much as a separate processor (or maybe it would. not sure).

-Wolf sends
Hi, I got it to run on G3420 , I tried to update the Bios to the latest one from MSI website 7817v1A (2018) by flashing with a flashdrive. But the Bios version says "E7817IMS V1.10". Is this good to go? Can't seem to find the v14.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hi, I got it to run on G3420 , I tried to update the Bios to the latest one from MSI website 7817v1A (2018) by flashing with a flashdrive. But the Bios version says "E7817IMS V1.10". Is this good to go? Can't seem to find the v14.

If you downloaded and installed the lastest BIOS, then you should be good to go. The BIOS version you installed is read "One dot Ten", whereas the BIOS version needed for the Haswell Refresh processors is read "One dot Four".

-Wolf sends

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
If you downloaded and installed the lastest BIOS, then you should be good to go. The BIOS version you installed is read "One dot Ten", whereas the BIOS version needed for the Haswell Refresh processors is read "One dot Four".

-Wolf sends
Hello, thank you so much sir , it works like a charm. You guys were right, it was just an outdated BIOS. It's working great now, thank you and God bless!

Reactions: Wolfshadw

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
My bet is on the BIOS update though. If this motherboard/CPU weren't sold together as a working bundle, I'd wager there's almost no chance this motherboard has an updated BIOS, as few people do that. Haswell Refresh CPUs just won't work on an H81 motherboard that hasn't been updated, so it's not recommended that people buy an H81 motherboard and one of those CPUs used without knowing for sure ahead of time.

Thank you sir , it was indeed an outdated Bios. Now it works fine, God speed!