[SOLVED] Pc powers on for a couple seconds then turns off

Jrudster

Honorable
Apr 13, 2015
Hey all, thanks in advance for any help you can give. So I've been building this pc for a friend, it has 2 hand me down parts that shouldn't have any problems, the psu and cpu. Here's what I've tested so far. First I tested the psu cause that makes sense. I dont have an extra one so I used a multimeter and checked the voltages on the atx pin and all of them read normal. For ram I tried booting with all sticks, one stick, no sticks, one stick in different slots, nothing worked there. For the Gpu, I tried it with and without, do difference. I did happen to have an extra motherboard so I tested with that in place and still no difference. I'm pretty stumped at this point so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know!

Here are the specs:
CPU: i5-4690k
Mobo: Giagabyte HD3
Ram: G skill ares
GPU: 1060
PSU: XFX TS850

Solution
What is the ACTUAL model of the motherboard? There are a lot of permutations of HD3 from many generations of various chipsets.

Also, what is the exact model of the memory kit, did all the sticks come together in one kit or separately and which DIMM slots are they installed in? Have you triple checked that they are fully seated?

Is the CPU cooler connected, because if it's not, the system will simply shut off after it realizes there is no RPM signature from the CPU cooler fan unless the option is disabled in the BIOS. Since you don't mention CPU cooler, this is possible.

I'd advise that you TRIPLE check EVERYTHING listed here...

Jrudster

Honorable
Apr 13, 2015
Oh! I remembered something that might be useful information. When I first put it together, I had the same problem, then all of a sudden it worked for about 2 days no problems. Then all of a sudden it started happening again and that's where we are. I'm hoping with that info one of you that knows more than me might be able to diagnose the problem.

What is the ACTUAL model of the motherboard? There are a lot of permutations of HD3 from many generations of various chipsets.

Also, what is the exact model of the memory kit, did all the sticks come together in one kit or separately and which DIMM slots are they installed in? Have you triple checked that they are fully seated?

Is the CPU cooler connected, because if it's not, the system will simply shut off after it realizes there is no RPM signature from the CPU cooler fan unless the option is disabled in the BIOS. Since you don't mention CPU cooler, this is possible.

I'd advise that you TRIPLE check EVERYTHING listed here:

If nothing pops up, then I'd remove it all from the case and work it on the bench as outlined in my guide.

Reactions: Turtle Rig
Solution

Jrudster

Honorable
Apr 13, 2015
Thanks for the response! Just some info for ya, the hd3 is rev 2.1, and I forgot to mention the cooler is the common hyper evo and it is plugged in. So I was going through the guides you sent and I was unplugging and repluggin all of my cables and so far it's working! I think I didnt have the 2x4 cpu power plugged in enough, it was plugged in before and didnt work, but I gave it a hefty push this time and it seems to stay on. Really appreciate the help, thanks and I hope your day has a fun surprise in it!

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Thanks for the response! Just some info for ya, the hd3 is rev 2.1, and I forgot to mention the cooler is the common hyper evo and it is plugged in. So I was going through the guides you sent and I was unplugging and repluggin all of my cables and so far it's working! I think I didnt have the 2x4 cpu power plugged in enough, it was plugged in before and didnt work, but I gave it a hefty push this time and it seems to stay on. Really appreciate the help, thanks and I hope your day has a fun surprise in it!
This has happened to most of us at one point or another to not plug in the cable nice and fit all the way. This is why after your done building a system you check all cables and make sure their snug. Please come back if problems do arise and well help you sort that out and what not.🚔🍩

What is the EXACT model of your motherboard? Is it an H97-HD3, Z97-HD3, B85-HD3, etc.?

The reason I ask since you seem to have already addressed the issue is that there are other, motherboard model specific, recommendations to make that may assist you with optimizing this process once you get Windows installed? Also, you will want to make sure that you have the MOST recent BIOS version installed as some newer driver packages don't play well with some of the older Haswell BIOS versions.