[SOLVED] Pc powers on, then off about 2 times, then boots normally

OS04

Commendable
Apr 9, 2021
So I had my pc in sleep mode, I tried to wake it and it started making rapid beeping noises, so I powered it off then on again but it switched itself off then when it came back on it tried to boot to bios for no reason before switching off again, it then restarted again and again, that’s when then it came on normally. I turned it back off a little while later and I tested it a bit afterwards and it booted normally but I’ve just tried to go on it again and it had to restart itself twice before booting normally. I recently upgraded my psu to a Corsair tx650m, but this was a couple weeks ago now, if that helps. Anyone know what’s going on?

Solution
Okay thanks I will try tomorrow, I just don’t understand why it’s possibly having problems now with the RAM when it’s been running fine for 5+ years. Thanks for the help!

The settings in the BIOS may have been correct once.... but now they're not. If the battery in the motherboard is now dead (it's a very old motherboard, so it's not very likely the battery is still good), the motherboard's BIOS settings are going to be wiped out every time you power cycle the CPU.

So... going back to post #2: Check the motherboard's battery.

The CMOS battery is the big silver disc between the CPU socket and the PCIe slot. If you just want to get a replacement, it's a CR2032 battery. You might actually have a few laying around the house...
So I had my pc in sleep mode, I tried to wake it and it started making rapid beeping noises, so I powered it off then on again but it switched itself off then when it came back on it tried to boot to bios for no reason before switching off again, it then restarted again and again, that’s when then it came on normally. I turned it back off a little while later and I tested it a bit afterwards and it booted normally but I’ve just tried to go on it again and it had to restart itself twice before booting normally. I recently upgraded my psu to a Corsair tx650m, but this was a couple weeks ago now, if that helps. Anyone know what’s going on?

Moltherboard. Check that the CMOS battery still has a charge.

OS04

Commendable
Apr 9, 2021
Crucial makes a lot of RAM. You're going to have to be a lot more specific than that.

What RAM are you using? DDR4 3600 CL16?, DDR4 4400 CL19, etc?

Also, what motherboard?
Well not to be rude but you should’ve been more specific, it’s ddr3 but idk what speed since I bought it 5 years ago and it’s a gigabyte ga-h61m-ds2 I believe.

Reseat ALL the psu cables....both ends.

Well not to be rude but you should’ve been more specific, it’s ddr3 but idk what speed since I bought it 5 years ago and it’s a gigabyte ga-h61m-ds2 I believe.

No. Not rude at all. I just made an assumption.

Ok. If you don't know what your RAM is, it's probably not set correctly in your BIOS either.

If you don't know what RAM you have, the best thing to do is download "CPU-Z". There's an "SPD" tab and it will show your memory's part number. Example: "DDR3L 1866 (PC3L 14900)".

OS04

Commendable
Apr 9, 2021
No. Not rude at all. I just made an assumption.

Ok. If you don't know what your RAM is, it's probably not set correctly in your BIOS either.

If you don't know what RAM you have, the best thing to do is download "CPU-Z". There's an "SPD" tab and it will show your memory's part number. Example: "DDR3L 1866 (PC3L 14900)".
Okay thanks I will try tomorrow, I just don’t understand why it’s possibly having problems now with the RAM when it’s been running fine for 5+ years. Thanks for the help!

The settings in the BIOS may have been correct once.... but now they're not. If the battery in the motherboard is now dead (it's a very old motherboard, so it's not very likely the battery is still good), the motherboard's BIOS settings are going to be wiped out every time you power cycle the CPU.

The CMOS battery is the big silver disc between the CPU socket and the PCIe slot. If you just want to get a replacement, it's a CR2032 battery. You might actually have a few laying around the house already.

Solution

OS04

Commendable
Apr 9, 2021

The CMOS battery is the big silver disc between the CPU socket and the PCIe slot. If you just want to get a replacement, it's a CR2032 battery. You might actually have a few laying around the house already.

My RAM is ddr3 8gb (4x2) 1333mhz. I’m familiar with the cmos battery and I know how to replace I just don’t know how to check the charge like you said. Should I change the time in bios and then restart my pc to check if it gets wiped?