[SOLVED] PC powers on, turns off after 5 seconds and then won't turn on again.

Ostrich69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Title pretty much explains it. I have the power cable plugged in and the PSU on and I turn it on. The motherboard powers on, the fans start and then the CPU fan stops. 2 seconds later the chassis fan also stops and then the whole PC just turns off. Pressing the power button doesn't do anything and taking cables out and plugging them back in doesn't work. I somehow got it to turn on about half an hour later but it just did the same thing. The case and PSU are brand new but I'm using a motherboard that is at least 8 years old from the Dell Vostro 230s with the original CPU, CPU cooler and ram. The hard drives have been verified to work by a friend and all the cables are plugged in securely. I don't want to try plugging in my GPU just in case it fries it.

Solution
Welp time to get a new motherboard.

There's also a ticking noise from the motherboard which means short-circuit and that means it's gone.

I was planning to get a new one and I have the money, it's just I wanted something to test in the meantime.

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Ostrich69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Thermaltake Versa H15 case with 450W power supply

Dell Vostro 230s motherboard, ram (4gb ddr3), and CPU/cooler

1TB wd10ears hard drive & 160GB Barracuda 7200.9 hard drive

I have a Galax Geforce GTX 1060Ti OC 4gb GDDR5 Graphics Card but it's not plugged in.

Which 450 W PSU is it? There's no 1060 Ti, is it a 1050 Ti?

It's hard to single out the fault, your issue can be due to a variety of factors. Try swapping out the PSU for a known-good unit if you can.

Ostrich69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
It's the Litepower 450W PSU and yes, it is a 1050Ti, my mistake.

I just tried the power supply swap and this old one has a light that indicates it's receiving power. I used a different cable and a different powerpoint and it flicked on then off and won't come back on, kinda like the PC so I'm wondering if the electrical in my room is stuffed now. Hope not.

Could this be the problem? Is it an incompatibility in the PC that's doing this?

Ostrich69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Well

If I leave the PSU plugged in, have all cables unplugged from the motherboard except front panel power buttons and fans and then plug the PSU into main power, the fans get power and go but it also ticks and then loses power and the PSU doesn't send anything. It did it with both PSUs.

Ostrich69

Reputable
Nov 2, 2015
Welp time to get a new motherboard.

There's also a ticking noise from the motherboard which means short-circuit and that means it's gone.

I was planning to get a new one and I have the money, it's just I wanted something to test in the meantime.

Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for wasting your time.

Solution

Glad you could figure out the issue, sorry I couldn't provide more help :')