Question PC powers up but will switch off at varying times

Jan 2, 2020
Hi

This problem began some months ago. I would turn on the system and it would shut down sometimes a few seconds after starting up sometimes an hour or 3 into gaming but sometimes would remain on for 8 hour sessions. Now the system shuts down every time in under a minute.

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem of the PC powering on but turns off at Varying times. The variance of the system staying on is between 5-45 seconds. I will power it on and it may stay on for 5 seconds then I will turn it back on immediately afterwards and it will run for 45 seconds before once again shutting down. I have tried the PSU on an old motherboard and cpu combo and the system stayed on so have ruled that out(Although it was a much older system 3570K). I have tried reseating everything including the CPU(Making sure to clean and reapply thermal paste when reseating cooler)I have taken the CMOS battery out ( admittedly this did extend the time the system remained on however still inevitably turns itself off). I have tried running with one RAM stick removed and trying different RAM slots. I have removed the GPU from the board completely to rule that out. I have no SSD connected but this would not force the system to shutdown correct?

Anyone have any ideas?

specs
1080TI EVGA FTW3
16GB Vengance 2993Mhz
Corsair CS650M
Z270E ROG Strix

Jan 2, 2020
Hi

This problem began some months ago. I would turn on the system and it would shut down sometimes a few seconds after starting up sometimes an hour or 3 into gaming but sometimes would remain on for 8 hour sessions. Now the system shuts down every time in under a minute.

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem of the PC powering on but turns off at Varying times. The variance of the system staying on is between 5-45 seconds. I will power it on and it may stay on for 5 seconds then I will turn it back on immediately afterwards and it will run for 45 seconds before once again shutting down. I have tried the PSU on an old motherboard and cpu combo and the system stayed on so have ruled that out(Although it was a much older system 3570K). I have tried reseating everything including the CPU(Making sure to clean and reapply thermal paste when reseating cooler)I have taken the CMOS battery out ( admittedly this did extend the time the system remained on however still inevitably turns itself off). I have tried running with one RAM stick removed and trying different RAM slots. I have removed the GPU from the board completely to rule that out. I have no SSD connected but this would not force the system to shutdown correct?

Anyone have any ideas?

specs
1080TI EVGA FTW3
16GB Vengance 2993Mhz
Corsair CS650M
Z270E ROG Strix
Anyone?

TRENDING THREADS