Ionic_Power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
My friend had me add a CD-Burner to his PC. After installation everything continued working fine for about a week. Now when he attempts to power down, Windows appears to shut down and either shows a light blue screen, or the monitor turns off, but all the fans ect. stay on.

Checked some other forums and got a few trouble shooting ideas but so far nothing has fixed the issue. Everything looks correct in the BIOS and there do not appear to be any rogue programs that are not shutting down (a suggestion on another web site). Also I uninstalled the new CD-Burner and the problem persists. Additionally no other hardware or software changes where made (at least that I was informed of).

So if anyone has any experience with this problem, suggestions, or other ideas to try I would greatly appreciate any help. Or suggestions as to whether you think it is a hardware or software issue.

Thanks again, and system specs follow.

Windows 2000 Pro
Shuttle AK31A Mobo
AMD XP 1600+
512MB PC2100 DDR
Maxtor 40GB HD 7200 RPM
Floppy
Sony 52X CD-Rom
Sony CD-Burner <---Added and then removed
Geforce 6800 GT OC 128MB AGP
D-Link 10/100 NIC
350W Antec PSU Model #PP-352X
2 80mm Case fans

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Did you disconnect the new drive completely? Blue screen usually points to hardware problems.
How about unpluging the other cdrom drive as well? Assuming they were both on the same power lead/data cable maybe something happened to it.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Ionic_Power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Folken, thank you for your response.

Yes I did completely disconnect the new CD-Burner. I also disconnected the old CD-Rom. Sorry, I forgot to put that in my original post.

When you say, "Blue screen usually points to hardware problems.", are you referring to BSOD or just the light blue screen that 2K has as it is loading/shutting down? The blue screen I am sometimes getting is the light blue loading/shutting down one, not BSOD.

Thanks again for your reply and any additional thoughts are appreciate.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Ah, that screen definatly isn't hardware problems then :)
BSOD is hardware, windows background isnt.
How about reinstalling/updating other drivers? (chipset video card, etc) Just to see if anything happened to them. Get all the latest windows updates too just because.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>